Pages

Wednesday 4 June 2014

Waverley Patchworkers Quilt Show 2014-Prizes

The Waverley Patchworkers Quilt Show was on last weekend. It went really well with many happy visitors enjoying the wonderful quilts. This is a post about the prizes and awards that were given out because the Waverley Patchworkers website is being revamped and is currently under construction.

The Waverley Patchworkers Quilt show is not a judged show but they give out three awards at the opening of the show to honour three members who have a special place in the hearts of Waverley Patchworkers.

Dawn Burrows was the founder and first president of Waverley Patchworkers and the award is chosen by the current President. The Dawn Burrows Award went to Helen Feutrill for her quilt More than Just Grapes.

Helen Feutrill More than just Grapes
Helen designed, made and quilted this quilt herself and she was inspired by a photo taken at the Stanton and Killeen winery, she used a fusing method and quilted it by machine. It was such a lovely vibrant quilt.

The June Lyons Award is the retaining tradition award which for Waverley means that it is made and quilted by one person, the award is chosen by the Quilt Show committee and they chose Morris Magic by Jan Smart.

Jan Smart Morris Magic

Jan used a Michele Hill pattern and made the quilt entirely by machine; she noted that she had to make 10 metres of bias for the vines.

The Marie Hart Award is given to a beginner quilter who has been quilting five years or less and this year the quilt went to Di Schwab for her quilt Stairway to Cat Heaven.

Di Schwab Stairway to Cat Heaven
Di used a pattern by Barbara Dubovsky that had been in a 1977McCalls Quilting magazine and she made it for her sister Judi who passed away in Dec 2013. Di machine appliqued and quilted the quilt in memory of her sister's beloved cats.

The Waverley Patchworkers had 2 Viewer's Choice Awards because there were two halls of quilts and visitors could choose a winner from each room, the Red Room and the White Room.

Rose Lewis won the Red Room prize for her huge quilt Through the Garden Gate.

Rose Lewis Through the Garden Gate

I won the viewer's choice prize in the White Room for my Christmas Crazy quilt. I couldn't believe it, I had been so busy at the show that I didn't give my quilt a thought and I didn't even get a chance to vote! Thank you to those who voted for my quilt, it is an honour because there were so many beautiful quilts in the show.

Linda Steele with Christmas Crazy

You can read about how I designed Christmas Crazy by clicking on this link

One of the highlights of the quilt show was the Red and White with a Touch of Black challenge. There were 69 challenge entries and they were all so different and wonderful.
There were two challenge quilts that had exactly the same number of votes. The committee members who were doing the counting all day  had to go back and check the number of votes to make sure.

1st Prize went to Naomi Hynes and Rose Lewis.

Naomi Hynes

Rose Lewis
Third prize went to Jan Smart.
Jan Smart


The person who won the raffle Quilt had ticket number 0609, she is a new quilter that only started last September and she was so excited to hear that she had won the quilt.

Waverley Stars- Raffle Quilt 2014
The winning quilts were wonderful but there were so many other beautiful quilts that could have just as easily got a prize. In my next post I'll tell you more about the show and put up some other quilt photos.

Bye for now,
Linda



9 comments:

Di Schwab said...

When you see all the prize winning quilts all together on this blog, the quality sure stands out.

Thank you Linda for a sensational quilt show .. There has been so much positive feedback .. Hope you are taking a long earned rest?

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Di, It was a relief that the show was so well attended and everyone seemed to really enjoy it.

Gina E. said...

Linda I was so disappointed that I wasn't able to see the show. We were invited to attend a concert on Saturday afternoon with friends and I thought well, that's okay, I can still go on Sunday. But at the last minute hubby made other plans, so that was that.
Thank you for posting those photos, and congratulations on winning the award - well deserved!
I am scheduled to work on the Guild stand at the Craft and Quilt fair on the sunday, so I am hoping to see a few of the quilts I have missed out on seeing so far this year, for kne reason or another.

Linda Steele said...

I am sorry that you weren't there as well, I thought I must have missed you. I am going to be at Vic Quilters on Sunday as well.

Linda Crouch. said...

Thanks Linda for this blog. I am sorry to have missed a great show. I look forward to more pictures.

Linda Steele said...

We missed you there Linda, we all had a great time.

Joy V said...

Thank you for sharing Linda. Beautiful quilts, and congrats for your win.

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Joy, my win was certainly a surprise. There were so many lovely quilts at the show.

catsmum said...

I didn't leave a comment at the time you posted this last year but I'm revisiting now and just wanted to say how lovely it is to see the group growing, prospering, and producing such stellar work.
cheers
Susan I.