Pages

Tuesday 25 August 2015

Textile Inspiration

Textiles from around the world have been inspiring artists and designers for years. Last month while studying the book Connecting Design to Stitch by Sandra Meech the Waverley Art Quilters were finding images of Textile inspiration.

There are many books devoted to Textile Inspiration and Dover Books have a huge list of titles that are copyright free. I have a few of them, including this one about Indian Designs.


Although I have quite a few of these books, I don't think I have actually used any of the motifs but they are a good starting point when you are gathering ideas for a quilt.

I was looking around my house for some textile ideas and realised that most of the textiles I have are quite traditional.

Curtains
Wallpaper
We are gradually repainting our house and this wallpaper will be taken down in the next couple of years.

Mat
Tablecloth
I am not sure if the textiles around my home are very inspirational for an art quilt but I can see their value for an applique or quilting design.

Michele Hill has made many quilts inspired by William Morris Textiles and many of today's quilters get their inspiration from vintage quilts.

I looked through the quilts that I have already made and only one has been inspired by a textile and that is the small quilt I made inspired by Wallpaper Designer, Florence Broadhurst. You can see the blog post I made about this quilt here.

Florence by Linda Steele
The next topic we have to study is Fashion. I think I will have to look further afield than my own wardrobe to find anything for that subject!

Bye for now,
Linda

No comments: