As I mentioned in my last post I only had 3 weeks to make this quilt and so I spent every spare minute on it. It did help that I had made a quilt with an underwater theme before so I wasn't starting completely from scratch.
I started by placing some rock fabrics over a suitable water fabric.
I didn't take a lot of progress photos because I had so little time to make the quilt but after I had my rocks in place I started to make the coral using hand embroidery and machine thread painting.
When I thought I had made enough coral I started placing it on the rocks.
I realised that I would have to make a lot more coral to fill the space.
The next photo shows you how the big the Blue Tang fish were in the beginning and how much smaller I had to make them.
Here is a photo of how I made the small Blue Tang. I cut out the fish shape in a blue batik and then used a black Fabrico marking pen for the detail.
I stitched around the outside of all the shapes to hold them onto the background and then I had to start adding all the hand embroidery.
You can see what a difference the embroidery makes by comparing the next two photos.
At least I did finish the quilt the day before the deadline and cannot wait to see the exhibition when it comes to Melbourne in April. I have seen a few of the other quilts that were selected and they are so different to mine and so creative and there are so many different interpretations of the Time theme.
The A matter of Time exhibition also has a Facebook page and an Instagram page.
Here is a photo of the entire quilt, remember to click on the photo for a larger view.
The quilt measures 40cm x 100cm or 16" x 39".
Bye for now,