Pages

Tuesday 12 September 2017

Houston Silent Auction 2017

Once again I have been invited by the International Quilt Festival or better know as the Houston Quilt Show to participate in their annual silent auction. It is an honour to be asked and I am happy to help as it is a major fund raiser for them and they do so much to promote quilting around the world.

My quilt named The Bleaching has been accepted into the show and so I thought I would make a small quilt with a coral reef theme.


Unfortunately I didn't take any progress photos as I was in a rush to get it made on time.

Here is the top finished before quilting.

The Coral Reef top

Because of time constraints this quilt is all done by machine, I didn't have the time to do the hand embroidery that is done on some of my other Coral Reef quilts.

Then I pin basted it.



Then it was time for the machine quilting.
It didn't take very long to quilt because it is 16" wide by 22 ½" high.

The Coral Reef ©2017 Linda Steele


Here are a couple of detail photos.




I hope someone likes my little quilt and bids on it. 

Houston has had some very bad floods and storms lately and we have been assured that all our quilts are safe on the 5th floor and told that Texans are very resilient and the show will go ahead. I wish them all well; we have watched the devastating scenes on TV in Australia and can hardly believe the tough times that they have gone through.

Bye for now,
Linda







7 comments:

Robbie said...

It is a wonderful replica of your original!!! Way to go! Lucky person who wins the bid!

Sharon said...

Linda, you astound me with the movement that you are able to create in your quilts... Those fish look like that the have been caught in a nano sec suspension before they flick their tails and swim away... I agree with the previous comment - exactly!!!

Sharon - Melbourne

Linda Steele said...

Thank you so much Robbie and Sharon, it's lovely to hear that you like my quilt.

Gina E. said...

Do you take international bids, Linda? Or is it all done over there in Texas? The Americans are indeed very resilient, but they have had to be, with their history of tornadoes and floods especially in the Gulf states. Sharon and Alison from the Eltham Quilt shop will be going to Houston again this year, and they always bring back heaps of new ideas and fabrics!

Linda Steele said...

Hi Gina, they only take bids at the Houston Quilt Show. They have papers lined up on a table, one for every quilt and you write down your bid and come back later, if someone else has bid higher than you, you can write down another bid etc. Some go for a lot of money.

jude's page said...

What an honor to submit a quilt, hope it raises lots of funds.

Linda Steele said...

Thank you Jude, it would be embarrassing if mine was not sold!