Pages

Friday 9 September 2011

Free Motion Feet



I have always quilted my quilts with a closed toe free motion foot that had a little plastic insert in the middle, mainly because that is what came with my machine and they didn't make an open toe foot for my machine.



But, I always wanted an open toe foot especially when I was doing some intricate work and wanted to finish at an exact spot in a quilted feather for example. You can see through the plastic insert but sometimes the sewing machine light seemed to reflect off of it and it wasn't ideal.

I spoke to the man in the sewing machine shop and he managed to find an open toe foot from another brand machine that fitted my sewing machine.



I was so happy and couldn't wait to try it and thought that I would never use my original foot again.

Imagine my surprise when I found that the open toe foot caught on the embroidery stitches when quilting my Crazy Quilts. It also got stuck if I had a few seams that came together in a bit of a lump.


Luckily I have still got my original foot and didn't cut out the front, the way I was tempted to.

Now I know why they make the two types of free motion feet.

Bye for now,
Linda




2 comments:

Nola G said...

Hi Linda,
You can make the foot sit a little higher off the fabric just by pushing up the bottom of the foot with your finger whilst twisting a small rubber band or hair tie a couple of times around the top bit above the spring. This makes it 'ride' a bit higher and not catch on the bumps.

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Nola, I tried it and it worked well. It would be handy when I am trying to navigate over and around beads as well.
Linda