I took a number of photos as I went along, not for blogging purposes but to try and help me decide the correct path to proceed.
Here is a photo of the finished quilt. I suppose it looks a simple enough quilt but the journey to it being finished was anything but simple.
|Christmas Crazy©2013 Linda Steele|
All last year I pieced 12 crazy quilt blocks with a Christmas theme and then I had to decide how to put them into a quilt. I had made the blocks into circles because I had an idea to make them into hanging Christmas decorations. I also knew that I wanted a Christmas scene or something like that at the top but before I could design the top I had to know how wide the bottom part would be.
Before I could decide on the block placement and therefore find out how wide it would be, I had to choose a background fabric and this turned out to be much harder than I expected. Here are a few examples of what I tried.
I didn't like any of the backgrounds and if you look at the side you can see that I was planning a red border. As you can see from the photo above I had so many blocks and I was finding it very hard to find a pleasing composition.
Finally I tried a mid/ dark green background fabric that I liked but I was still having trouble finding a pleasing arrangement for the blocks and I realised that if I used all of them the quilt would have been too wide.
I removed three of the blocks including two of the large ones because I found they were just too big.
At last I had something I was happy with but you can see from the photo above that I was still thinking of having a red border . But at least I knew how wide the quilt would be and I could design the top section. You can probably also notice that I changed the shapes of some of the blocks to make them easier to place. I found it too hard to design when I had them all as circles.
I got a large piece of paper out the same width as I wanted the top section to be and drew up a Christmas scene. I wanted to keep the centre as flat as possible and sometimes the embroidery will pull in a bit so I prepared the centre part first.
Here is the reindeer that I had fused onto the background fabric, he looks very flat without any shading or embroidery doesn't he?
When I had finished embroidering the scene, I auditioned the fabrics for the crazy piecing around it.
At last I was thinking that this quilt could really work and this is what it looked like before I added the crazy quilting embroidery.
It suddenly occurred to me that the red border would be too strong for the quilt and I decided on a green border, the same as I was using for the background. I was also going to make the hanging ribbons in the same colour as the blocks for interest but in the end I decided it would be better to have them all the same and I used a gold coloured thread and a chain stitch for hanging the blocks .
It was getting close for the deadline to enter the quilt into the Victorian Quilters Showcase and Houston and I really wanted to push myself to get it finished because I was sick of it and didn't want to spend another year on it. I had designed an applique border but I knew that it would take too long to make and in the end I just left the border plain. The applique would have looked good but I just wanted to get the quilt over and done with.
Now I had to baste and quilt it.
|Quilt basted and ready for quilting.|
There are a lot of photos in this post and so I will wait for another post to show you some close-up photos of the finished quilt.
Bye for now,