Pages

Tuesday 3 December 2019

Quilting Practice 1

On Facebook a few weeks ago someone mentioned that she was doing Angela Walters Free Motion Challenge Quilt a Long as quilting practice. I decided to look it up and came across some videos from 12 months ago. On the spur of moment, I decided to have a go.

I actually already had a panel of squares that I had sewn together about 4 years ago and had never used, so it was easy to start straight away.

Panel of squares ready to go

Angela Walters mentioned that she was using Aurifil thread and I had a lovely pale gold that was perfect. I usually quilt with silk thread so sewing with a different thread was good practice also.

Aurifil Thread

Although Angela didn't mention it, I ditch stitch around the inside of each block before I started the quilting. I wanted to do some ruler practice as well, so I used the Line Tamer ruler by Four Paws Quilting, it's such a great ruler.

Line Tamer Ruler

Ditch stitching with Line tamer ruler

The first lesson was a meander or stipple stitch, which I have done a million times before but she also mentioned echoing around the inside of the block first, so I did that for the first time.

Meander or stipple quilting.

Well, that was a good start and so much fun, because it only took about 5 minutes to do. I have some quilts that I am making at the moment that will need quilting next year, so doing some regular quilting practice might make it easier.

I have since found out that Angela Walters is doing another quilt-a-long practice at the moment, so it's not too late to join in the fun.

Bye for now,
Linda

4 comments:

Robbie said...

I did one of Angela's quilt along one year in Florida. She has some good tips and it's fun to do. I finished a table runner one year. I too would always stitch in the ditch before filling in squares.

Linda Steele said...

I have never had quilting lessons apart from when I did my first beginner classes, so it is good to try out some different stitches.I agree that she does have some good tips, Robbie.

Michele Hill said...

I never imagined you would need to do this Linda but I guess we can always learn something new! x

Linda Steele said...

I didn't think I would do something like this either, Michele. But it's just away to keep in practice and improve as well.