Last week, the Waverley Art Quilters had their first meeting for the year and we had to unveil our holiday challenge. As usual it was a challenge; we all had similar calico coloured fabric with circles on it as well as some stranded DMC embroidery floss in various colours.
This was my challenge fabric and thread.
We could make what we like with it but I found it quite uninspiring. I had to work on a few quilting deadlines over the holidays and in the end, I decided to make a book cover. Originally, I had thoughts of dyeing or screen printing the fabric but I had to be quick and just used it as it was.
I wanted to learn something from the challenge though so I decided to get out my sewing machine instruction book and learn how to sew using the alphabet. I know it's hard to believe that I have been sewing since the 80's and have never sewn with the alphabet function.
Here I am with my practice piece of fabric.
I used a tear-away stabilizer behind the fabric and had to remember to press the pattern end button as the last letter was sewing or it would start repeating the words again.
Here is the front cover of the book, I had decided to cover a blank display book for me to draw various quilting designs that I come across or like.
It's hard to see but I used the green thread to stem stitch around the inside and outside of the circle.
I used black and white fabrics for the back and the lining.
Let's hope I can be a bit more creative in our next challenge!!
Bye for now,