Pages

Thursday 5 March 2020

Kyabram Exhibition Begins

It's been an exciting week this week because my solo exhibition opened on Monday. It is in the lovely town of Kyabram, a two-and-a-half hour drive from Melbourne. My husband and I drove up last Saturday and put up the exhibition with two lovely Kyabram volunteers, Lesley and Judy. It took about 3 hours to set up, luckily, I was organised and had all of the quilt rods cut to size and named.

The Kyabram townsfolk have done a wonderful job of renovating the Town Hall and have turned it into a gorgeous art gallery with three large exhibition spaces.

Kyabram Town Hall Gallery

I have all my Crazy quilts, applique and pictorial quilts on display. I have tried to display them in groups and a pleasing colour arrangement. My Coral Reef series has a section on its own, so that has worked just the way I wanted it too. The gallery space is very large and so I ended up using all my quilts even the 4 quilts that I had in reserve, just in case I needed them.

Luckily my Magical Coral Reef quilt returned home from the USA two days before! With a lovely Viewer's Choice ribbon too.

Gems of the Ocean 11- Viewer's Choice

I had a lovely first day because four of my friends came up to visit. Thank you to Deb, Sugy, Sue and Pat for making the day so special. Sugy is wearing sunglasses because she left her usual glasses back in Melbourne. It was a lovely warm, sunny day in Kyabram.



The ladies at the gallery provided us lunch as a surprise.

Day 1 lunch

There is a piano at the gallery and I put 3 of my coral reef quilts above it.




I stayed for the first two days at a Kyabram motel and before the gallery opened at 10am, I went to a local cafe for coffee. I was reading a local newspaper and found my exhibition mentioned in the What's On section. It's a pity that they left the e off my surname!

I was speaking to someone at the gallery who was getting some information from me for an article and I noticed that she had also left the e off my surname, she was surprised that it bothered me! I said that it didn't seem like me without the e.



The exhibition is open all of March from 10am to 4pm every day except Sundays.

I will be there next Monday 11th, which is a long weekend, in Melbourne. I'll also be there all of the following week, the 16th to the 20th March. I'll also be there on Friday 27th and Monday 30th March.

There is a wonderful patchwork shop two doors down from the gallery called Catharina's Vintage Stitches. They have asked me to teach a one-day Crazy Patchwork class on Tuesday 17th March.

Bye for now,
Linda


4 comments:

Robbie said...

How exciting for you, Linda!!! Your work is beautiful and now so many will get to see it up close and personal!!! Congrats again!!!

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Robbie, it has been an exciting experience, people are loving seeing the details up close.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You must be so excited! It sounds as though the space was perfect for your collection too. How I wish I could be there to see your work up close and personal. Enjoy all the well-earned accolades!

Linda Steele said...

Thank you Magpie Mumblings, it's been wonderful to speak to people as they come to the exhibition and the space is wonderful.