Here is my April block for the CQJP 2012 (Crazy Quilt Journal Project).
This block is a bit larger than my previous blocks. It’s a 9" block and I have mainly used green silk fabrics as the base.
This is what it looked like before the embroidery.
I had already started the block when I realised that I hadn’t taken a photo of it. I used a satin stitch for the holly leaves and the berries. I like to do the centre first because it’s much easier to use a hoop if you haven’t got all the embroidery in the way.
In the bottom right corner I did some spider web roses in yellow ribbon.
In the top left corner I made some back stitched spider web roses in red embroidery floss.
The main difference between the two roses apart from the obvious of one in ribbon and the other in embroidery thread is that the spider web rose has 5 spokes for the base and the back stitched rose has 6 spokes and that gives the ribbed look.
Seeing that little yellow stitch in the bottom of that close up photo reminds me that I also used a crown stitch.
I have never used this stitch before and it is quite nice, I must remember to do this stitch again. I have to use a stitch a few times before I can commit it to memory.
I keep meaning to make a book of stitches to have near me to jog my memory when doing my crazy quilt blocks. I have lots of embroidery books but they are often also full of stitches that I don’t use and my own book would be better.
Another thing for me to add to my to-do list, I fear that list is quite long!
Bye for now,