Our latest challenge in the Waverley Art Quilters Group was called Inspiration from Image.
Last month we all brought photos that we thought would be suitable and then had to decide which one to use. We put it to a vote and it was fairly unanimous that we use a photo taken by a fellow Waverley member named Ronnie Heagney.
I decided to simplify the photo and just focus on the red leaves.
I drew out a few thumbnail sketches and finally decided to piece some green batik fabrics vertically to represent the green leaves in the background.
I don’t like fusing onto pieced fabric because you can see the seams through the image, so I thought I would go 3 dimensional.
I fused some vliesofix onto the back of some red batik fabric and then cut the fabric in half, placed the vliesofixed sides together and ironed then.
I was left with red fabric on both sides and cut out 5 leaf shapes to arrange on the green background. I satin stitched around the edges of the leaves and attached them to the pre-quilted background by stitching the leaf veins.
I knew that the leaves had to be able to be attached to some sort of branch, so I got two strands of wool thread and satin stitched over the top of them with a brown variegated thread. I hand stitched the branch in place.
I think that it worked quite well and it didn’t take long to do.
Next month we are studying Florence Broadhurst who was an Australian wallpaper designer in the 60’s and 70’s. She had a very interesting life and her designs have become trendy again. I am looking forward to the challenge.
Bye for now,