Pages

Tuesday 12 March 2013

Charmed Block 2

I signed up for a charm bracelet and matching block pattern with the girls from Quilted Crow and every two months I receive another pack. You can read my post about the first one here.

I have now received my second charm and it is a little Christmas tree. It's hard to believe that they can make such a tiny little block, it might be hard to see but it is made of fabric.

Christmas Tree Charm


What you might not know about me is that I hate UFO's (Unfinished Objects) and since 2002 I have determined to never have one. So when I received this second charm and block pattern I started to worry that I hadn't sewn the first block yet.

I needn't have worried because they are very easy to make and only 6" square. They are foundation pieced and I think that they only took me 15 minutes each to sew.

Here is the first block which is a log cabin.

Charmed-Log Cabin

Here is the second block which is the Christmas Tree and it goes with the charm that I showed you in the first picture.

Charmed- Christmas Tree
The blocks are foundation pieced and I have done a lot of foundation piecing in my time but instead of using the pattern that they sent me I printed it again on some Foundation papers that I had at home. I had two different types of Foundation papers and I don't know when or where I bought them. The log cabin was printed on Foundation papers from That Patchwork Place and it was fine but opaque paper. For the Christmas tree I used Foundation Paper by Zippy Designs and you can see through it.

See through foundation paper
I actually couldn't see the advantage in using the see through paper but it might have been more useful if the pattern was more complicated. What I didn't like was the way the paper curled after it had been ironed whereas the other paper stayed nice and flat.


I had to pin the edges back to photograph the block. I think that I will stick to the other paper in future.

Now I am up to date and that is a worry off my mind and I can get onto other things until the next block arrives.

Bye for now,
Linda

2 comments:

Gina E. said...

The little charm looks like it started life as an "Inchie". I always thought they were stupid, but then I borrowed a book on them from the Guild and had so much fun making up things with them!
Good news (I hope) - Aldi are having a sale next Saturday on basic model Singer sewing machines for $99, so I'm going to try to get one. Then I'll be able to bring it to any future quilting workshops you run at the Guild!

Linda Steele said...

I thought the same about Inchies until I saw how beautifully some people had done them.
Good luck with your new machine, I hope that you will be able to buy accessories for it, like a free motion quilting foot.
Linda