Pages

Tuesday 19 March 2013

Lace Motifs

The other day the online group the Southern Cross Crazies were talking about lace. We were talking about  best lace to use in crazy quilts especially when you want to dye the lace before you add it to your block. One of the ladies mentioned that she had a lot of lace motifs because she was thinking of selling crazy quilt supplies one day but eventually decided against the idea. When she said that she wanted to sell most of her stock I immediately let her know that I was interested.

Look at the wonderful supply of lace motifs that I received.

Lace Motifs
I know that I don't need so many lace motifs for myself but sometimes I have to make up kits for classes and this lace will be just what I need.

By the way, do you know what the best lace to use is? When I first started crazy quilting I thought the best lace was made from cotton but the best is actually rayon and it is called Venise Lace ( I am not sure why it's called Venise and not Venice) and when you dye the lace it has the most wonderful sheen, whereas cotton is more of a matte finish.

The lace is actually getting harder to source because I was told that the heavy machinery that has made it for years are starting to break down and people are not bothering to repair them. So when you see the wonderful heavy lace at Quilt Shows buy it while you can.

Bye for now,
Linda

2 comments:

Jen said...

oh my gosh I'm so jealous of all the lace!!!! I love so many of those pieces. If you happen to sell any kits, please consider me first in line ;)

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Jen, don't they look wonderful? I am not planning on selling kits at the moment though.
Linda