Pages

Tuesday 30 April 2013

Clarice Cliff

We were studying Clarice Cliff with the Waverley Art Quilters last month and I must confess that I hadn't heard of her before but I found some lovely big books on her in my local library.


Clarice Cliff was an English ceramic artist who was born in 1899 and died in 1972. She is known for designing and painting ceramics in an Art Deco style. Her first range was named Bizarre and her pieces were so popular that Bizarre became the name for all the work produced under her name.
Clarice Cliff's designs were bold and colourful often using orange, purple and blue but during World War 2 only white pottery was allowed to be made and she stopped designing.

We had been discussing copyright in our group and I was trying to come up with an idea to represent Clarice Cliff whilst still being original.

I liked one of her first designs and used the pattern as a background and took a photo of a white jug with some paint brushes in it to depict her work as a ceramic artist. I used the photo I had taken to make templates for an applique pattern.

Clarice ©2013 Linda Steele
One of our group happened upon a second hand store when she was on holidays in the country and found several Clarice Cliff pieces for sale. A small toast rack was $600! Apparently Australia has the biggest collection of Clarice Cliff ceramics outside of England.

Bye for now,
Linda

2 comments:

Gina E. said...

That is very clever, Linda. I've heard of Clarice Cliff, through friends who collect pottery and ceramics of various kinds. Her work certainly lends itself to being translated into patchwork!

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Gina, I was surprised how patchwork like many of her designs were.