Pages

Tuesday 12 May 2015

Connecting Design to Stitch- Nature Inspired

We are trying something new in the Waverley Art Quilters Group this year. Usually we study an artist or topic and make a small art quilt based on what we have learnt. We have doing this for a few years now and thought a change would be a good idea.

We have chosen to study a book by Sandra Meech, called Connecting Design to Stitch. If you click on her name it will take you to her website and you will find images of her wonderfully creative quilts.


The idea of studying the book is to explore personal themes and styles through composition exercises and design classes.

The first theme we have to explore is Nature. Nature is an inspiration for many artists including myself. I have already done many quilts with a nature inspired theme.

I love using birds in quilts.
Sydney's Flamingo ©2014 Linda Steele
Reflections ©2013 Linda Steele



I've done quite a few quilts with a flower theme.
Art Nouveau ©2011 Linda Steele


Viola ©2012 Linda Steele
Rose © Linda Steele
Of course my Crazy Quilts often use nature as its theme.

New Zealand Block from Naturally Crazy ©Linda Steele
Crazy about Spring © Linda Steele
Even though I have done many nature inspired quilts I hope to do many more.

Bye for now,
Linda

2 comments:

crazyQstitcher said...

Your seasons quilt blocks are great. I like embroidering birds, have never tried appliqueing or quilting them. Love the pelican.

Linda Steele said...

Thanks for the kind comment, I must admit that I like the pelican as well, I would like to do more of that sort of quilt