Pages

Friday 30 December 2016

Looking back on 2016

When the year comes to an end I cannot help but reflect on the events of the year and wonder what 2017 has in store for me.

On Christmas Day I managed to get one photo of me with my two grandchildren Savannah and Jack where we were all looking at the camera at the same time!



I really enjoyed 2016; it started off in the best way when my daughter and her husband told us that they were having their first baby. I could hardly sleep on New Year's Eve because I was so excited for them. Then in August little Jack arrived, a dear little cousin for Savannah and I have spent many hours at their place helping them out with the baby. It is such a wonderful time.

Jack


I had my first year as President of Waverley Patchworkers and I really enjoyed it even though it was such a busy year with Waverley's 35th birthday, the Quilt Show and the Spring Gathering. I hope my second year is just as enjoyable. One of unexpected benefits of being President was being privy to both the good and bad news of the members. I was humbled by the friendship and support shown by the members to others in need.


I don't make New Year's resolutions these days but I do try and have some plans for improving my life and this year is no different.

1. Go back to art classes; I am going to do a drawing and watercolour class once a week. I have also booked into a weekend class in March by Malini Parker, an artist that I have admired for a while.

2. Go back to exercise classes; I have had trouble with an inflamed hip (bursitis) and after a lot of treatment the physiotherapist has recommended that I start walking and doing some yoga and strength classes. She said that if I want a healthy old age I have to make time for exercise.

3. Keep a sketchbook; I started a new sketchbook last week because I was sick on finding bits of paper everywhere with ideas or measurements etc. Now everything must go in the book and I'll know where to find it, instead of looking everywhere for a certain piece of paper.

4. Continue with my Coral Reef series; I am enjoying making quilts with the coral reef theme and I plan to continue these in 2017.


Life on the Reef ©2016 Linda Steele


I am starting 2017 by travelling to New Zealand to do two weeks of classes with Nancy Crow. Nancy teaches advanced classes in design and composition and is known for her forthright critiques. I am going with some trepidation because I don't do pieced quilts and am heading straight into the advanced classes without doing her beginner or intermediate classes. I hope I am not too much of a beginner compared to the other experienced and usually very talented and well known quilters that are also attending the class.

 We quilters mainly work on our quilts at home in a solitary manner and I relish the thought of taking my quilts to a higher level and receiving some honest feedback.

We have to bring 100 yards of plain fabric and I am travelling there by plane so I had to buy extra baggage allowance to bring all the fabric. Apparently the classes are hard work with timed exercises and critiques. The classrooms open at 6.30am until 10.30pm and previous participants have worked there the entire time. We live on site and meals are provided.

Here is a photo of the fabric I have bought for the workshop, I had to buy it all because I didn't have any plain fabrics in my stash. I also have a bolt of black and a bolt of white fabric to take because apparently we go through a lot of it. It doesn't look like a lot of fabric in the photo but it is and it is quite heavy.



It sounds like a dream to sew non stop for two weeks with meals provided. I'll let you know all about the classes when I come back.

The classes I am doing are Improvisations: Let's Experiment part 2 and Lines, Shapes and Figure-Ground Composition Part 2 (advanced)

Let's hope we all have a happy and successful 2017!

Bye for now,
Linda


8 comments:

Wendy @ Wendysquiltsandmore said...

Wow Linda! What a busy year 2016 was for you, and what great plans you have for 2017. The Nancy Crow classes sound amazing and I'm sure you'll enjoy them. I'll be very interested to see what you learn.

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Wendy, I can hardly believe I am going, I hope to learn a lot more about colour. Happy New Year

Robbie said...

Nothing beats those grand babies!!! I just love the time I've had and have with each of ours!!! Best to you in 2017!

Linda Steele said...

Hope you have a good 2017 too Robbie, I agree that they make everything more special

jude's page said...

Sounds like your year is off to a good start. Enjoy. I like your list, especially the one about the bits of paper everywhere! (and the exercise one too).

Linda Steele said...

Happy New Year Jude, I have the plans now I have to stick to it.

Gina E. said...

Happy New Year Linda! Sounds like you have it all planned out already, with all the right goals, including regular exercise:-) I started a regular exercise routine about 16 months ago, and it has made such a difference to my physical health. I no longer ache all day and night with the arthritis, because the exercise classes focus on core strength and toning muscles which help to support the worn joints and bones.
The art weekend workshop sounds wonderful! I've done a few similar courses in years gone by and always enjoy them.

As for the two weeks in New Zealand...will you really use all that fabric in two weeks??? I would have that much in my stash for 2 YEARS before making a dent in it! I look forward to seeing what you create.

Linda Steele said...

I am back from my two weeks in New Zealand and I did go through an enormous amount of fabric but of course lots went untouched as well. Happy New Year, Gina