Pages

Monday 1 October 2018

Master Class with Ricky Tims

Last week my friend Jill and I drove down to Geelong to do a one day Master Class with famous USA Quilter and Teacher Ricky Tims.

Here is Ricky in action, I was lucky to have a front row seat.

Ricky Tims

He projected lots of step by step photos on a big screen behind him but we were also given a syllabus with notes and step by step photos.

Master class Syllabus


Ricky was very generous and signed our books and put up with us taking his photo. Here I am with Ricky.

Ricky and I


I also got a photo with my friend Jill in it as well.

Jill, Ricky and me

Jill is doing an online photography course with Ricky and has recently been on a photography tour to Ireland with him, so she knows him quite well. Ricky Tims is a busy man.


Ricky had a few of his quilts hanging around the room and he said we can photograph them and touch them as much as we like.

Ricky's Self Portrait

Bohemian Rhapsody detail

Bohemian Rhapsody detail 2

Because Jill is a keen photographer we went down to the beautiful Geelong foreshore to take some photos. Geelong is well known for its many bollards so I took photos of a couple of them.

Band Bollard

Life Saver Bollard

Jill took a photo of me that makes it look as if I am in one of those water globes.

Greetings from Geelong

I was only using my phone to take photos but I got some nice reflections under the pier.

Pier Reflections

The water was a beautiful colour and the boats looked magnificent shining in the sun.

Boats

It started to get dark and on the way back to the car I got a lovely photo of the other side of the pier.

Pier reflections at dusk
It was a great short get away and Jill was great company. Jill has asked me if I'd be interested in going on some other photo shoots with her, maybe I'll get better with my photography!

The Ricky Tims Master Class was hosted by the Geelong Patchworker's Guild and they did a marvellous job. The venue was fantastic and morning and afternoon tea and lunch was provided and of an excellent quality. We also received a goody bag on arrival and were made to feel very welcome.

Ricky encouraged us to get on with our quilting and enjoy every second of it and pursue our goals, I felt very inspired after the class.

Bye for now,
Linda

6 comments:

Robbie said...

How lucky for you to take this class from Ricky! In 2009, my friend and I took his Super Quilt Seminar...2 or 3 day...can't remember but it was really interesting. One of the additional 'best parts' was Ricky playing piano and flutes for us! Just fab...I bought one of his CD's which I love!! Continued success with your photography!!!! Love the water/reflection pic you took!

jude's page said...

Love your photos, and what a great day you had with Ricky. He came to SA many years ago now, I have lots of his books and DVD's, and attended a night show in Paducah, where he told his quilting story of "joining the dots" in his life, which was so inspiring, and he also played the piano and his flute.

Linda Steele said...

A 3 day class would have been wonderful, Robbie, he didn't bring any of his musical instruments down to Australia unfortunately
.

Linda Steele said...

Hi Jude,
I agree that Ricky is very encouraging and obviously enjoys teaching. I have his books and dvd's as well and I didn't think to bring them and get them signed!

Michele Hill said...

How wonderful Linda....Ricky is such a lovely guy. Your photos are beautiful even from your phone - I too love photography! Do say Hi to lovely Jill for me next time you see her xxx

Linda Steele said...

Thank you Michele, you are so kind. I will pass on your hello to Jill. I would love to be better at photography but there are only so many hours in a day!