Pages

Tuesday 4 December 2018

An Abstract Year

I started the year trying to work on abstract art with the Waverley Art Quilters and I think I am now better informed and understand it a lot more. In fact I enjoyed it. I know the others in the group were concerned at first but everyone ended up doing some fabulous work and found that it wasn't so scary after all if we took it step by step.

We started the year with the holiday challenge; we were all given a bag with strips of batik fabrics and had to include a stamping or printing technique.

Midnight Blue
I decided that I don't really care for the strips of fabric look.

Next we studied Australian Abstract artist Helen Maudsley.

Finding my Way

It was fun to do but I still don't think it's something I want to do a lot more of.

When our subject was maps I felt a little more comfortable especially as I could make it about Coral Reefs.


Bleaching


I enjoyed painting and stamping the fabrics but it wasn't exactly abstract art.

We all enjoyed studying Marimekko.

Marimekko

Now I felt as if I was really doing something I enjoyed. I loved the black and white background but I really loved those circles.

Transparency was difficult to achieve although I did manage to have some success with it but once again those strips and squares don't excite me much.

Transparency

When we studied Lyubov Popova I felt that I was onto something I enjoyed doing.

Fractured

I have decided that I love black and white, love angles, love circles and love a limited colour palette.

I am so glad that I looked back at what I did in art quilters this year. It's always so busy that I usually don't bother. The advantage with these little studies is that they are only A3 size so I can try out different things without it being too time consuming.

I still haven't done out Art Quilter's program for next year but I will include at least one month of abstract art.

Bye for now,
Linda

4 comments:

Robbie said...

My favorites are Marimekko and Lyubov Popova! Wow...those are great...so is Transparency! Nicely done!!!! I was part of Art Quilters Around the World for several years. We have to complete a quilt six times a year with the theme being picked by members. That was a challenge but have to say was fun. I did opt out this past spring to focus on my own projects but I do miss it! It's always good to challenge ourselves isn't it! I really enjoyed seeing your pieces...they are fab!!

Linda Steele said...

Thanks for taking the time to comment Robbie, those are my favourites too. It is a big commitment to make those small quilts but time and time again an idea for a major quilt comes out of them.

Unknown said...

Thank you so very much for sharing your art and knowledge. Happy Holidays!

Linda Steele said...

Thank you L. Jones, I am glad you enjoyed seeing them. Merry Christmas