Pages

Tuesday 18 June 2019

AQC 2019

This is a rather late post about the Australasian Quilt Convention or AQC as we call it.

Every year there is a challenge and this year the theme was Magic. I was absolutely thrilled to win Viewer's Choice with my quilt Magical Coral Reef.

Here is a photo of me with my quilt well before I knew that it had won Viewer's Choice.

Me with my quilt

The 1st place winner was Alison Withers with her quilt Women's Magic.

Women's Magic by Alison Withers

Whenever one of my friends came by we took a photo of them with their quilt.

Phoenix Rising by Deb Layt

Creating Magic by Sue de Vanny

As well as a wonderful array of quilts and shops there are classes and the teachers also have some of their quilts on display. I couldn't resist taking a photo of Susan Carlson's quilt Tickled Pink. I've seen it so many times in books and magazines that it was good to actually stand in front of it.

Tickled Pink by Susan Carlson

There was a display of all the quilts that represented the states in the Best of Australia Award.

Here is the NSW entry from Jenny Bowker.

After the Last Sky by Jenny Bowker

The Tasmania entry was The Collective Language of Trees by Cindy Watkins.

The Collective Language of Trees by Cindy Watkins


The winner of the Best of Australia went to my friend Julie Adamson from Victoria for her silk applique quilt called The Apprentice.

The Apprentice by Julie Adamson

There was a wonderful display by a group of Korean quilters. They couldn't speak much English but they were so polite and happy to be in Australia for the show.

Enshrine the Landscape by Hyesook Kim

Castle on Sand by Kayoung Ahn

When the Sun Goes Down by Jungeun Tark

AQC was wonderful as usual, it is so great to catch up with friends from all over Australia and it has such a happy, friendly atmosphere.

Finally here is a photo of my quilt Magical Coral Reef without my head in front of it.
Magical Coral Reef 2019 by Linda Steele

The Magic Challenge will be travelling all around Australia this year at the Expertise Events Craft and Quilt Fairs.

Bye for now,
Linda

No comments: