Pages

Tuesday 29 September 2020

Working in a Series no. 8

 I have decided to finish my circle series and so number 8 is the last one. While making number 7, I had an inkling of an idea of where I wanted to go next.

I drew out a bit of a design.


Then I chose my fabrics.


Then I fused it together.


I put it on my design wall and thought it looked ok. But I have been practising my improv pieced blocks and have been really enjoying it. This is a really amazing development because I have been almost anti-piecing, believing that trying to piece fabric together, stopped the artistic flow and I would rather fuse and applique as though I was applying paint to fabric.

So, I thought why not try this block again but this time piece it together? I enjoyed doing it and to celebrate the end of my series, I quilted it as well.


 Here are the 8 quilts in the series.

Circle Series 1-8

It is interesting for me to see how they developed and how my thinking changed during the year. I am loving the improv piecing and I suspect that I wouldn't have gone in that direction unless I had done this series. Working in a Series forced me to try different colours and designs and inspired me to try something else because I wasn't satisfied with how they were turning out.

I am inspired to start producing new pieced work. Is it a passing fad or is it a new way forward for me? Time will tell.

Bye for now,

Linda

4 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm so glad you stuck to it and continued the series. And thank you for the recap of the lot because I've been sitting here trying to pick a favourite. My eye keeps being drawn to the 3rd from the left in the bottom row. Now having said that I wonder if that's because of the design itself or the fact that the circles are all blue. But if that's the case why isn't the top left one my favourite? Haven't had my coffee yet this morning and these ponderments are too much for me...lol.
MA

Linda Steele said...

That's really interesting, Magpie Mumblings, because that is when I started to break away and had a mind shift with the designs.

Robbie said...

I love this series of circles from you!!! Improv is great and I can see BIGGER pieces coming from you in the future!!!

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Robbie, Improv piecing is all I can think about at the moment.