Pages

Tuesday 8 June 2021

Thread Painting

I have been busy making some coral and fish using the free machine thread painting technique.


I've been making a series of Coral Reef quilts for a few years now and often make coral with hand embroidery because that is what I did for years with my crazy quilts. But I don't want to make things the same way all the time, I want to change and improve all the time. I can't help it, it's just the way I am.

I am loving using the sewing machine to make coral, it is still time consuming but it allows me to make my motifs in a larger size.




I have also made some fish, it really is good fun.



I have finished the quilt now and entered it in an exhibition, so I cannot show the quilt yet. I think that it might be too pictorial to be accepted though. It won't be the end of the world if it isn't accepted, I can enter it in something else.

We have been put into lockdown again! This is our second week but I am using the time wisely. I am powering through my to-do list and having a big tidy up. In fact, I am going to be ruthless and get rid of things that I haven't used or not going to use, especially if its traditional flowery fabric. I am quite sure that I won't be making traditional quilts anymore, art quilts are too much fun.

Bye for now,
Linda

2 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I have a love/hate relationship with machine embroidery like this - I love the results but then I look at the sheer amount of thread it uses and then I allow my mind to wander to how much thread costs these days and that's where I get mired.
Good luck with the competition!

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Magpie Mumblings, thread painting does use a lot of thread but I have a huge stash of thread that I have bought over the years and I have been lucky to win quite a lot of thread as well. My thread stash rivals my fabric stash and I am sure that I won't run out!