Pages

Tuesday 20 June 2023

Golden Textures Contemporary Art Quilt Award 2023

 Last Saturday, my husband and I drove to Maryborough for the opening of the Golden Textures Contemporary Art Quilt Award opening. It was held at the Central Goldfields Art Gallery, which is a lovely venue that has recently been renovated.

It was the first time I have ever entered and as there were only 21 entries accepted it was quite an honour to be included. 

My quilt was on the flyer.


It was a two and a half hour drive to get there and luckily we arrived in time with 10 minutes to spare!

The winner was Sandra Champion with her quilt Ancient Pathways 15.

Ancient Pathway by Sandra Champion

Here is a detail photo of Sandra's quilt.

Ancient Pathway 15 detail by Sandra Champion.

The judges gave a talk after the presentation and said that Sandra's quilt won because of the innovative use of various materials like paper, silks, scrim and inks.

The Runner Up prize went to Dianne Firth for Red Shift.

Red Shift by Dianne Firth

The judges said that she won because of the gradation of the red fabrics and the impeccable workmanship.

I have never been at an opening where the judges spoke about why they chose the prizes, it was interesting. Maybe I haven't been to many openings!

I took some photos of some of the others that I liked.

Canopy 24 by Anna Brown


Golden Valley by Sue Dennis

Sunbathing by Beth and Trevor Reid



Stuff of Dreams V by Judy Hooworth




TaniaTanti was also there, so I took a photo of her in front of her quilt made of wool

Tangled up in You by Tania Tanti

My Husband took a photo of me in front of my quilt.



Here is my quilt without me in front of it.


Citrus Zing by Linda Steele

My quilt is completely improv pieced. I have no pattern, I just cut and sew as I go. I was thinking about juicy fruits on a plate and  cool and refreshing drinks on a hot summer's day. I am trying to express how I feel when I think of them.

I enjoyed making it, but it did look very different to all the other quilts.

By for now,

Linda



2 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Sounds like a pretty amazing show and with only twenty one entries accepted, pretty prestigious too. Thank you for sharing photos, but best of all was to see you with your entry.

Linda Steele said...

Thank you Magpie Mumblings, I was thrilled to have my quilt displayed with all those 'big' names.