Pages

Tuesday 23 April 2024

AQC 2024 Winners

 AQC is over for another year but there were some prizes given out. Every year there is a challenge and this year the theme was 'Oh My Stars'. There was a huge variety of quilts, people can be very imaginative. The winners was Soul Dance by Elizabeth Dubbelde.

Soul Dance by Elizabeth Dubbelde

It was made of recycled jeans but the photo does not do it justice.

Viewer's Choice was Balthazar's Camel by Julie Tasker.

Balthazar's Camel by Julie Tasker

Best of Show in the Australian Quilt Show was Tathra Wharf by Gloria Loughman.

Tathra Wharf by Gloria Loughman


Here is a photo of Gloria with her big cheque. Fancy winning $10,000. She could hardly believe it.  


Susan Sheath won Best Modern quilt with Mexican Hats.

Mexican Hats by Susan Sheath

I was so busy working on the Bernina stand this year that I didn't take many quilt photos, but I did manage to take some that caught by eye.

I liked two quilts that were in the SAQA Red exhibition.

Finding Neverland no. 8 by Jan Soules


The Implication of Red by Hsin-Chen Lin



The Implication of Red detail

I liked some of the quilts by the tutors.

Ceramic Portals by Julie Haddrick

Journal Quilts by Gillian Travis.





I went to a lecture by Gillian Travis and she explained how she makes little quilts inspired by her travel photos and then stitches them together to make wall hangings. I think it is such a good idea.

I think that AQC is the best quilt show in Australia and we are so lucky that it is held in Melbourne every year.


Bye for now,

Linda

2 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Of course I loved the recycled jeans quilt. Reusing materials goes back to what our grandmothers did and sometimes I wonder how we got so far away from that.

Linda Steele said...

I agree Magpie Mumblings, there does seem to be a resurgence of recycling at the moment.