Pages

Tuesday 10 September 2024

Working in a Series- Seasons

In our Art Quilt group, we have decided to try working in a series again. This time we were to do a series of four quilts over four months. I chose The Seasons. I wanted to start doing some fabric printing again and thought it would be a good way to begin.

I started to print some PFD (prepared for dyeing fabric) in various oranges, yellows and reds using the gel plate and some fabric paints. I was planning to work on Autumn first.

Then Charlotte Scott from New Zealand came to our group to run a class on printing leaves and painting organza to make an art quilt. I enjoyed the class, especially as I had been meaning to get back into this type of work. I made a small quilt, that I called The Wetlands in class.

The Wetlands

Well, you know what it is like when you do a class, afterwards you pack everything away and forget what you did.

I changed my mind and decided to do my little series using her technique, so I could remember how I did it.

I  printed leaves or a stencil on white fabric and overlaid some painted organza and some appliqué to create each one.

I started with Summer.

Summer

Then I tried Spring, I couldn't help but think that the organza dulled the quilt down a bit, so I added more little pink blossoms to try and brighten it up.

Spring

Next came Winter, I didn't use leaves this time, I stencilled on some winter trees with bare branches.

Winter

Finally, I did Autumn, the season that I was going to start with and I used some of those fabrics that I had printed for the autumn leaves.

Autumn

It has been a busy year and to tell you the truth, it was a struggle to get these little quilts done. They are only 12inches square.

Today, I listened to a talk by Jane Dunnewold, near the end she said that if creating the work does not give you joy, then why are you doing it?

I have lost some of my joy because I have too many commitments. I have decided to cut out two of the responsibilities that I have next year. I have to be brave and say no.

I have some good news, I have won a prize in the Sydney quilt show. I looked at flights to go there for the day, but it would have been so expensive and travelling to the airport and back is an ordeal so I have decided not to go.


Bye for now,

Linda

2 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Looks like an intriguing process and such great results.
As for saying no, I once read a book on the subject and the premise boiled down to just saying no and not give excuses for it (because they will have a work-around for any excuse you can come up with). I learned to say no as a matter of course unless it was something I knew I truly wanted to do. Then, if I changed my mind and decided I really did want to do 'it', I could call the person and offer up my services later on. I became a repeating record and kept saying 'I'm sorry, I can't do that'. Don't know if any of that might help you, but throwing it out there anyway.

Linda Steele said...

Thanks for the support, Magpie Mumblings.