Wednesday, 3 October 2012


Last month our topic at the Waverley Art Quilters was Nature Inspired. We decided to narrow the field a bit and we had to use a close up (cropped) image or a distance shot (bird's eye view)

We also decided to stay away from leaves because earlier this year our topic had been Inspired by Image and the photo we used was of red leaves. You can see the post about it here.

I looked through the photos that I had on the computer and decided to do a viola. I cropped the image in Photoshop and came up with this.

I printed out the photo and traced the various colour divisions. I began to feel that I had cropped the photo  bit too closely and on the spur of the moment I free hand drew the bottom petal onto the pattern I had made.

I got out my batik fabrics in purples and yellows and built the flower in fabric using fusible web behind the fabric. I really enjoyed the process and loved seeing the flower emerge.

Viola top
I quilted the viola in thread that matched the fabrics and then instead of binding, I faced the quilt top because I wanted the bottom petal to be hanging down underneath the quilt.

Viola  © 2012 Linda Steele

The quilt is A3 sized plus the bottom petal and I found it a very enjoyable quilt to make.

This month we are studying an Australian artist named Rosalie Gascoigne and after thinking about it for about three weeks I have finally decided what to do. I had better get started on it because we have our meeting next week!

Bye for now,


jude's page said...

Love this, now I know what I have been keeping closeup photos of flowers. And a small project is just the thing to do to keep it from being a UFO that I have plenty of.

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Jude,

I have a lot of flower photos as well. You never know when you will need one!

Nima said...

wow..that is really nice. great effort and beautiful finish

Linda Steele said...

Thank you Nima, flowers are always fun. So much so, I have been asked if we can do them again next year.