Pages

Thursday 6 June 2013

Cohuna Retreat

Last weekend I travelled to Cohuna to teach at their annual retreat. The retreat has been going for 10 years and some people have been to every one. I stayed at the comfortable Cohuna Motel, which has an old fashioned country charm. Every bed has its own teddy in case you are feeling lonely and need someone to talk to.

I was amazed when I saw the bathroom tiles because they were the very same tiles that were in the house where I grew up. It brought back many fond childhood memories of laying in the bath and trying to see different pictures in the shapes.


I was teaching two, one day classes. On the Saturday I taught Beginners Machine Quilting. On Sunday I taught my Beyond Beginners Machine Quilting class.

Beginners Machine Quilting

I forgot to take a photo of the Sunday class, it was a big class and we were very busy perfecting our quilting.

On Saturday night after dinner the local drama group entertained us with some jokes.

I was thrilled when Pat showed me her finished crazy quilting from last year's retreat. Pat has done some beautiful embroidery and had it framed.

Pat with her crazy patchwork
 

Here is a detail shot of her lovely work.


Cohuna is up in northern Victoria and it hadn't rained for over seven months and they were very glad of the constant rain that fell on Saturday. They had over 3 inches and it fell just in time for the farmers.

The other tutors were Mariya Waters, Michele Hill, Dijanne Cevaal, Annette Blake and Jan Preston. On the Sunday afternoon the committee gave all the tutors a bag of produce from the local area.


There were at least 8 shops in attendance with so much wonderful stock to tempt us. I bought some wonderful batiks from Gail's Patchwork Emporium whose shop in Sebastopol burnt down and couple of years ago. She has rebuilt and has been trading again for 5 months.

Here is a photo of Michele Hill who bravely got up at the dinner to tell us a funny joke.

Michele Hill

 Click on Michele's name and you will be taken to her blog to find out more about the wonderful weekend. Michele took a lot more photos than I did.

Thank you to the committee for having me back in Cohuna again and to the enthusiastic students who booked into my class. We had a fun time and it was lovely to catch up with old friends and meet some new ones.

Now that I am home I have to prepare for my 5 days of teaching at the Ballarat Quilt at the Winter School. I am also behind with my Waverley Art Quilters homework!! There is always plenty to do.

Bye for now,
Linda


No comments: