Pages

Tuesday 26 November 2013

Quilting in the Highlands 2014

I have been asked to teach at the Berrima Patchwork, Quilting in the Highlands retreat in 2014. I know that everyone had a wonderful time at this year's retreat and everyone who went is eager to go again next year.

Imagine four days of sewing, mingling with other quilters and fine food, all in the beautiful historic town of Berrima! Berrima is in the Southern Highlands of NSW between Canberra and Sydney.

I am going to teach hand embroidered crazy patchwork with a block from my Crazy about Australia quilt for the first two days.

Crazy about Australia by Linda Steele

For the other two days I will teach my quilt Tulip Dance. In this class we will be learning free machine thread painting using wash away stabilisers and machine applique. It's a fun class and I find that people who have learnt thread painting by machine gain a lot more control and their machine quilting really improves.

Tulip Dance detail
 
The butterfly and the Praying Mantis that you can see on the photo above are sewn with an ordinary domestic sewing machine using a straight stitch. You do not need a fancy embroidery machine to make the motifs.
Tulip Dance

There are six other wonderful tutors at the Quilting in the Highlands retreat.
Ruth Bloomfield
Julie Haddrick
Sandra Leichner
Marti Michell
Yvette Stanton
Mariya Waters

 You don't have to do all four days; you are able to just enrol in a two day class. The dates for the retreat are Saturday 26th July to Tuesday 29th July 2014.

All the details are on the Berrima Patchwork, Quilting in the Highlands website.

I hope to see you there.

Bye for now,
Linda

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

This sure looks and sounds like fun!

Linda Steele said...

I am sure it will be a very enjoyable four days and even better for me because I already know some of the other tutors, so it will be fun to catch up with them again.
Linda