Pages

Tuesday 2 September 2014

Houston Silent Auction 2014

Every year the IQA (International Quilt Association) Houston run a silent auction to raise money for all their various quilting promotions. You have to be invited to donate a quilt and I have been very honoured to be asked for the last few years.

I always like to donate something because I have been to Houston twice and it is the most wonderfully well run and happy quilt show that I have ever been to. I have also been lucky enough to win a few prizes in their show.

I usually make a small quilt that is similar to a quilt that I have entered in the judged show but I didn't enter this year. All my teaching commitments, the cruise and the Waverley Patchworkers quilt show meant that I not only didn't get a quilt finished, I didn't get one started!

I remembered that I made a little crazy quilt for the Waverley Patchworkers Red and White with a touch of Black challenge and so I have decided to donate that.

Crazy about Red and White©2014Linda Steele

This is what the base block looked like before the embroidery.

From the look of the photo I must have been going to embroider the swan but I must have changed my mind afterwards because I ended up appliquéing him.

Here is the swan completed.


I have another couple of close-ups as well.



I am posting it off to Houston today, I hope someone bids on it and they raise some money.

Bye for now,
Linda

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Just as usual, your embroidery is just lovely and a beautiful colour selection. Good luck with the auction.

Unknown said...

Is a beautiful work , I love the idea of keeping only few colours and play around the shades of those colours. Your piece give me some courage to continue my daughters quilt which is black and white .

Linda Steele said...

Thanks for the comments Dawn and Renata. Keep going with your quilt Renata, I always feel like faltering halfway through thinking that it won't work. It usually always sorts itself out.