Pages

Tuesday 10 February 2015

Crazy Quilting Books

I often get asked what books I use for Crazy Quilting and the truth is that although I have many books I hardly ever use them because I have been Crazy Quilting for over ten years now and I know all the basic stitches without having to look up any books.

I was at my local bookshop over the holidays and I bought a charming little book that I thought might be handy. It is called Stitch Encyclopedia-Embroidery.



It is not a very big book and it doesn't have very detailed instructions for doing the stitches. Sometimes when stitching away I can wonder what I will do next and having this little book near me can inspire the next stitch. I photographed a couple of the pages so you can see the detail in them.


When you have been stitching a while you don't need the really detailed step by step books that show every step of the way.

Another little book I have near me is a book by Dorothy Bond called Crazy Quilt Stitches.

I love the spiral binding so the book can open completely flat. This little book has no instructions, just little pictures to inspire the next stitch. It was published in 1981, long before I had discovered crazy quilting. I don't even know if this book is still available and I managed to get one by accident when someone was giving away her embroidery supplies when she was moving house.


When you have been crazy quilting a while this is all you need to inspire the next stitch sometimes.

I know there are beginners out there who need the really detailed step by step guides and I'll do a review of my favourite books in a later post.

Bye for now,
Linda

2 comments:

jude's page said...

Your work is lovely, I have plans "one day" to do a crazy quilt, using the fancy stitches on my machine.

Linda Steele said...

Judy, my very first crazy piece was done with the machine stitches and I still love it.