Pages

Thursday 23 June 2016

Sydney Craft and Quilt Fair 2016

The Sydney Quilt Show is on at the moment and I flew up for the day yesterday. I had such a wonderful time, seeing the quilts, looking at the shops and all the displays and catching up with friends.

The highlight of my day was when I received 2nd prize in the Pictorial section for my quilt Firelight.


Firelight was a new technique for me; I had made a small version for my crazy quilt and wondered how I would go trying it out on a much larger scale. I started with pieces of wool in reds, yellows and browns and dry felted it with my embellisher machine. I then finished it off with some hand embroidery and machine quilting.

Here is a detail photo.

I like the painterly quality that you get with wool and will definitely try the technique again.

The quilts were absolutely beautiful and I took over 200 photos. Unfortunately you are not allowed to post photos unless you have the permission of the maker, so I can only post photos of my friend's quilts.

Linda Crouch has made a small quilt named Agapanthus and the quilting is amazing.
Agapanthus by Linda Crouch


 Sue de Vanny used all sorts of different techniques for her quilt named Erte's Bazaar
Erte's Bazaar by Sue de Vanny


Here is a detail photo so you can see all those ribbons that she appliqued and her quilting was beautiful too.



Anne Andrews's quilt is called Fruit Salad, it is hand pieced and hand quilted. I am in a friendship group with Anne and I remember her sitting at our group sewing it.



Fruit Salad by Anne Andrews
I was standing in an aisle among all the quilts when Rachelle Denneny arrived from South Australia. I only catch up with Rachelle at quilt shows so after a quick chat I took some photos of her with her gorgeous quilts.

Rachelle Denneny with her quilt Modern Movement

Here is another photo where I hope you can see her wonderful quilting. You can click on the photos to make them bigger. Rachelle won first prize in the Modern Quilts section with this quilt.

Modern Movement by Rachelle Denneny detail
Rachelle had another quilt in the show called Sweet Calliope which won the Domestic Machine Quilting Award.

Sweet Calliope by Rachelle Denneny
These photos were taken before the prizes were announced so she didn't know the good news then.

Here is a detail photo so you can see her lovely quilting.

Sweet Calliope by Rachelle Denneny detail
I don't know how she does such beautiful quilting on a domestic machine. I love the new modern coloured fabrics that she has used as well.

While Rachelle and I were standing around talking Karen Terrens from Melbourne came by and I took a photo of her in front of one of her quilts.

North Country Girl by Karen Terrens.

Karen has a long arm quilting machine and she is master of her machine. She won the Long Arm Machine quilting Award for her other quilt in the show and I think that I forgot to take a photo of that one.
Here is a close up of photo of her quilting. North Country Girl got second in the Traditional Professional category.

North Country Girl by Karen Terrens detail


While I was talking to Rachelle and Karen, Amanda Daly who is the President of the NSW Guild came up to speak to us. When she told me that she also had a quilt in the show, I just had to take a photo of her in front of her quilt.

Out of the Box by Amanda Daly
Julie Adamson won second prize with her beautiful applique quilt called Time, Sand and Arabesque. Julie uses silk for her fabrics and she hand appliques and hand quilts, she is a popular teacher.

Time, Sand and Arabesque by Julie Adamson.
Vicki Jenkin, a long arm quilter from country Victoria won a Judges Commendation for her beautiful quilt named Pointy Plates.

Pointy Plates by Vicki Jenkin
Here is a detail photo so you can see Vicki's beautiful quilting.

Pointy Plates by Vicki Jenkin quilting detail
I met Lynn Hewitt at the very first AQC (Australasian Quilt Convention) in Melbourne 11 years ago. We have been catching up at quilt shows ever since. Lynn has been the President of the NSW Guild a couple of times, she has run quilting tours, taught and you name it Lynn has done it. If you want to know anything you ask Lynn. She also had a quilt in the show and let me take a photo of her in front of it.

Well Spotted by Lynn Hewitt

Now I look at the photo of Lynn Hewitt I see that she is wearing her white gloves and has papers in her hand, of course she was working! People like Lynn are so valuable to the quilting industry.

It was getting late in the day when I came across Katrina Hadjimichael, we have been Facebook friends for a while so it was good to catch up in person. Katrina has been designing and making quilts with a Jane Austen theme and her Wentworth quilt won a Judges commendation.

Wentworth by Katrina Hadjimichael

My quilt was hanging close to the miniature quilts and so I was there when they went to put their ribbons on their quilts. I asked permission to post photos of their quilts.

Here is Jan Cardie who got 3rd prize for her Mini Grandma's Flowers quilt.

Jan Cardie with Mini Grandma's Flowers


You can see how small those quarter inch hexagons are because the ribbon is nearly bigger than the quilt.
Mini Grandma's Flowers by Jan Cardie
First prize in the miniatures was won by Felicity Scott for her quilt, Who Stole the Moon?.

Felicity Scott with Who Stole the Moon.
Here is a closer photo.

Who Stole the Moon by Felicity Scott.
Those little log cabins were certainly miniature. Felicity said that she went to a lot of trouble to make sure that the Japanese writing was correct, apparently it is all about the dragon.

Best of Show was won by Rachaeldaisy for her quilt Whizz Bang. Her name is all one word, I haven't made a mistake. She was absolutely thrilled and could not believe it.

Rachaeldaisy with Whizz Bang
Here is a photo of the entire quilt.

Whizz Bang by Rachaeldaisy
Photos do not do this quilt justice. It must be very heavy because it is all layers of 3D fabric.

You might be able to get an idea in this detail photo.

Whizz Band detail
How lovely to see a modern, young quilter win Best of Show.

I think there were nearly 400 quilts in the judged show and every quilt was beautiful. Photos do not do them justice, so if you get a chance to go to the show I highly recommend it. The show runs everyday until Sunday.
The show is  held at the Sydney Exhibition Centre. Glebe Island. 41 James Craig Road, Rozelle.

As I left the Exhibition Centre yesterday I looked up and saw the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It was a different view of the bridge and so I had to take a photo. You can see that beautiful blue sky, we had sunny weather of 20 degrees.




Here is the link to see all the prize winners and their quilt photos.

http://quiltnsw.com/quiltshow/

Bye for now,
Linda





6 comments:

jude's page said...

Thankyou for your report and the photos. Love to see closeups as hard to see the detail on the website.

jude's page said...

And congratulations on your award, well done.

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Jude, I was so pleased to get an award, it was stiff competition. You are right about the photos, they do not do the quilts justice

Quilts on Bastings said...

Congratulations Linda - it was great to catch up with you. You have written a wonderful review.
Cheers,
Karen

Linda Steele said...

Thank you Karen, I enjoyed catching up with you as well

Gina E. said...

OMG...words and pictures certainly can't do justice to the work put into all those quilts! Just took my breath away even looking at them on my computer screen; thank you so much for sharing all that information here, Linda. For those of us who aren't able to get to the show, it is almost as good to read about it on your blog.
Congratulations on your award too - well done as always!