Pages

Tuesday 5 July 2016

Sun Printing

Last month we had an unexpected burst of sunny weather and on the spur of the moment I decided to do some sun printing. I had been talking about sun printing with some friends at the recent Waverley Patchworkers Quilt Show. I had mentioned that whenever I did sun printing the wind springs up and I find myself running around madly with rocks etc. trying to stop the fabric from blowing away.

My friend had a marvellous hint that made it so much easier. You get a cheap artist canvas and leave on the plastic wrapping. Then you have a firm surface to pin your fabric on. I just happened to have 3 artist canvasses from my painting days and decided to try it out. It made it so much easier. It was a firm surface to take outside, it stayed put even if there was a breeze and it was so easy to bring inside again.

Here are my sun printing experiments drying in the sun.






I had know idea what I wanted them for, I was purely trying it out and having some fun. I only had two colours of sun dye paint, green and yellow but you can use any watered down acrylic paint. Because it was a gentle winter sun, I thought I would stick to the sun dye paint.



Here are the results, I was very happy with them.





It was just a fun, spur of the moment experiment and I don't no what I'll do with them. They could make a good background for an art quilt where I could do further surface design on them. The fabric could also make good leaves for some applique.
The fabric is still nice and soft even though I used paint.

I am very happy with these sun dyes paints and will order some more colours.

Bye for now,
Linda

4 comments:

Robbie said...

Lovely!!!! Prints turned out quite nice!!!! Have you tried the Solar Fast? So much fun...you use a negative you print out from your printer!!! Love the effect...same as using your paints or Setacolor but you can print out a picture to sun print with.

Linda Steele said...

I haven't tried solar fast, I'll have to see where I can buy it, it sounds like something I would like. Thanks Robbie

jude's page said...

They look great, and you must have been lucky to strike a day with sun, as there has not been much of it lately! Hope you enjoyed your time at Ballarat.

Linda Steele said...

I was lucky to get a couple of sunny days last month, Jude. There haven't been any since.