Pages

Tuesday 1 May 2018

Marimekko Exhibition

Last week a couple of friends and I drove up to Bendigo to see the Marimekko exhibition at the Bendigo Art Gallery Marimekko is a  design company from Finland which began in 1951 making fabrics for ready to wear clothing.

Now they design fabrics for clothing and decorating.

Here I am at the entrance to the gallery.




There lots of displays of fabric and clothing from over the years and I clearly remember the shift style dresses of the 1960's that my mother used to make for me. I enjoyed looking at the exhibition from a design perspective and it was interesting to see that the following fabric was inspired by rain.




I liked this knitwear maybe because I love striped and spotted fabric these days.



They make fabric in different scales, smaller sized for clothing and larger for curtain material. One of the fabrics on display is what I recently bought as a cushion but the fabric was a smaller scale than the fabric on display.



Most of the designs were very abstract with a lot of black and white featured but I liked seeing this more organic screen print.



I  especially liked the display in the last room.


They often had the large scale fabric on display as well as the same fabric in a dress.

Most of the fabrics were cotton but they also produce silk fabric such as in the dress in the following photo.




The main reason I had for going to the exhibition was that we are studying Marimekko with the Waverley Art Quilters this month. What a coincidence that I picked Marimekko to study long before I knew there was going to be an exhibition.

The exhibition is on until the 11th June, so there is plenty of time to get there.

Now I have to work on my Marimekko challenge piece in time for our next meeting.

Bye for now,
Linda

No comments: