Pages

Tuesday 22 May 2018

Marimekko Inspired

Last month the Waverley Art Quilters were immersed in Marimekko designs. Many of us drove up to Bendigo Art Gallery to see the Marimekko exhibition. You can see the post about my visit to the exhibition here.

I am lucky enough to have a Marimekko shop at my local shopping centre and for a recent birthday I got two Marimekko cushions.

Marimekko cushions

Even the Clinique makeup company had a gift with purchase and it came in a Marimekko bag.

Clinique makeup bag with Marimekko pattern


I do love black and white.

I was actually inspired by two large black and white ottomans at the Marimekko exhibition and thought I would piece together many black and white fabrics for my little quilt.

Marimekko Ottoman

I gathered my black and white fabrics and laid them out in what I thought was a pleasing design.

Black and white fabric layout

I decided to piece them together placing white fabric in the spaces.

Black and white background
That was going to be my quilt but it just wasn't enough; I had to think of a way to enliven it. I remembered all that plain fabric that I have left over from the Nancy Crow classes and I also remembered the knitwear that I photographed at the exhibition.

Marimekko knitwear

I really loved all those spots. I got out some blue fabric and cut up lots of circles and fused them on top of the pieced background.



That looked much more interesting and of course even better when it was quilted

Marimekko inspired ©2018 Linda Steele


I really enjoyed making this little quilt which is only A3 size, but it gives me an idea to make one a lot bigger.

You can see this quilt and see what the other members of the Waverley Art Quilters made at our quilt Show on the 2nd and 3rd June.
Mulgrave Community Centre
355 Wellington Road,
Mulgrave.

As well as the quilts there is a cafe and 6 shops.

Hope to see you there.

Bye for now,
Linda

1 comment:

Gina E. said...

Wow, what a wonderful quilt using black and white and one more colour!
I also have a stack of black and white fabrics, and have made one quilt so far which I was very pleased with, but I've been saving ideas from Pinterest for the rest of the B & W stash. Now to find the time!