Pages

Tuesday 31 July 2018

Victorian Quilters Showcase 2018

Our state quilt show, the Victorian Quilters Showcase is over for another year and it was my first one as Convenor. I must admit that being the Convenor makes it a little more stressful that it had been in the past but now that it's over I think I understand what has to be done and will find it a little more relaxing next time. We'll see!

I was absolutely thrilled to win 1st Place for my miniature, Autumn Dance. It's the first time that I have ever made a miniature.

Autumn Dance by Linda Steele

I actually designed it about 5 years ago and got sick of the pattern hanging around. I had originally intended to needle turn it but I never had the time and knew that I would never get it done and so I used a machine blanket stitch on the edges. That made it more fun and it actually got finished.

I couldn't believe it when I also won Excellence in the use of Colour, usually that prize goes to way out colourful quilts.

My friend Julie Adamson won Best of Show with her quilt, The Apprentice.

The Apprentice by Julie Adamson
Her quilt is hand appliqued and hand quilted and took 11 months to make. Here is a detail photo, the quilt is made using silk and batik fabrics.

The Apprentice detail

Here is a photo of Julie and I just after she had won her award.

Julie Adamson and I

Being the Convenor meant that I was always doing or thinking about something and I didn't take as many photos as I usually do.

Here are some of the photos that I took.

A Very Merry Christmas by Rhonda Irving


Harvey Lane by Shelley Kelly


Abby by Ramona Resurreccion


Man in the Mud by Michelle de Groot


Rings around Australia by Robyn Coots



Virginia Kaleidoscope by Elizabeth Allen


The runner up to Best of Show was Linden Lancaster with her art quilt.

A Place of Reflection by Linden Lancaster


Linden was also one of the Profile a Quilters this year and there was a display of her quilts.

Linden Lancaster in front of some of her quilts


Reed Warblers- Barmah Lakes by Linden Lancaster


Under the Jacaranda by Linden Lancaster


As usual it was a wonderful quilt show and people liked the way we had set out the show, so I hope to do something similar next year.

This show is a tremendous amount of work though and I have spent a lot of time on the computer instead of doing my sewing. Hopefully I will get used to it and manage to get some sewing done as well in the future. Of course I had a lot of help from the committee and volunteers who have been helping for years and they made my job so much easier.

Bye for now,
Linda

2 comments:

Mary said...

Congratulations! Your quilt is beautiful!

Linda Steele said...

Thank You Mary, I was so happy that it got a prize with some stiff competition.
Linda