Pages

Monday 15 July 2019

Kusama

I am a member of the Waverley Art Quilters and every month we study a different artist or theme. Last month we were looking at Japanese Artist Yayoi Kusama.

She was born on the 22nd March 1929. I watched a documentary on her recently and she seems quite an eccentric character. It's hard to believe that she turned 90 this year and still makes art every day.

Kusama is most famous for her dot obsession and I must admit they are fascinating.

I didn't have much time to do a little quilt study this time, so I grabbed some black and white spot fabric and cut it into dots.



It looked too simple and so I cut some more plain black circles and added them to the top.

Kusama

It is quilted in the above photo. I did straight, horizontal lines, which is quite fashionable at the moment. Hard to see though, because I quilted with black cotton onto the black section of the fabric.

There is a permanent exhibition of one of her installations in the National Australian Gallery in Canberra. I happen to be going to Canberra next month and it is on my list of things to do there.

If you haven't heard of Yayoi Kusama, I recommend that you Google her, you are in for a colourful surprise.

Bye for now,
Linda

No comments: