Pages

Tuesday 20 August 2019

Kathryn Harmer Fox Workshop

A couple of weeks ago I did a workshop with South African artist Kathryn Harmer Fox. Showcase had only just finished and I was fairly worn out but I still enjoyed my time in the class at the Embroiderer's Guild in Malvern, Victoria, Australia.

We could choose various Australian themed designs and I chose the kangaroo.
First, I put a little bit of watercolour behind where I was going to place my kangaroo. I shaded  Inktense pencils and then used water to spread and blend the colour.

I traced the kangaroo onto the fabric and then I started to add various little pieces of fabric to make the kangaroo. I attached the fabric with a fabric glue-stick and then free motion stitched over the fabric to blend the fabrics together.
Of course, mine is not finished because as soon as I got home I got stuck in to all the other things I had to do.

Kangaroo postcard

Around the room were a lot of Kathryn's beautiful, inspiring work on display. She is very artistic and was stressing that knowing how to draw is very important to her. Luckily, I have gone back to drawing classes this term, although I am very dismayed at how out of practice I am!

Kathryn Harmer Fox

Kathryn Harmer Fox


Kathryn's work was also for sale and I bought her gorgeous Crane postcard. What better memento from my time with her?

Crane by Kathryn Harmr Fox


Before I left Kathryn posed for a photo with me.

Kathryn Harmer Fox and I

I am not sure that I want to do this realistic style of work anymore but you never know!

Bye for now,
Linda


2 comments:

Robbie said...

Wow..your kangaroo is adorable! Is this watercolor or pencils...guess I need to look up the instructor. Wonderful work from her...thanks for sharing!

Linda Steele said...

Robbie, the kangaroo is fabric collage with machine stitching over the top. Although I did put a little watercolour in the background.