Pages

Friday 13 September 2019

Art Quilt Australia 2019

Last week I made the drive down to Geelong for the opening night of Art Quilt Australia 2019. I am a relatively new member of Oz Quilts and was thrilled to be juried into the exhibition with my contemporary quilt Coral Tragedy.

Coral Tragedy by Linda Steele
It's a different style for me but I have been experimenting with contemporary quilts for about 12 months now and I am enjoying the challenge.

As usual with these events, I get to catch up with other artists that I have met before as well as meeting new ones. Sometimes it is really good to put faces to names at last. I felt quite honoured to be amongst some really big names in the art quilt world!

There were two awards because also showing was the Wool Quilt Award.

Neroli Henderson was thrilled to win the Art Quilt Award and I managed to get a photo of her with her quilt.

Neroli Henderson with Whitewash

I got to catch up with Sue Reid again, I met her for the first time earlier this year at the SAQA exhibition in Canberra and again at One Step Further in July.  So now it is the 3rd time that I have met up with her this year!

Sue Reid with And the Wheels go Round no. 4

I was given a lovely catalogue showing all the quilts in the exhibition.


Inside there is a full photo and detail photo of each quilt. Here is the page about my quilt. The quilt on the right is by Pat Forster.

Inside the catalogue

Here is a detail photo of my quilt.

Coral Tragedy detail
I love the way that the quilting shows up on the plain fabrics.

If you go the Art Quilt Australia website you can see photos of all the winners. As usual I was too busy talking to take many photos. I really should go back and have a closer look at the quilts. It really is a fabulous exhibition.

The exhibition is held at the Geelong Wool Museum.
26 Moorabool Street,
Geelong
Victoria Australia

The exhibition will be on until 15th December 2019.
Bye for now,
Linda

No comments: