Pages

Friday 6 July 2012

Thread Painting

I had a make a cushion sample with a piped edge for a class sample. It was a crazy quilt class but I didn't have time to do a crazy block. I found a beautiful piece of floral fabric to use instead but it looked a bit plain for a crazy quilt class.

I wondered what the fabric would look like it I enhanced the fabric with a bit of machine thread painting.


I liked the look of it but I embellished it more heavily than I had originally intended. I had only backed the fabric with calico and that wasn't enough to stabilise the heavy thread painting and it puckered a bit.

I backed the fabric with tear away and thread painted the large red and blue flowers. Put the piping on and made a quick cushion sample.


I like the effect, but of course I could have gone much further with this and thread painted all the flowers and leaves but that would have taken hours and I didn't have time for that.

I have done a lot of free machine thread painting in the past and just one butterfly can take me 4 hours. These grapes took all afternoon.


Bye for now,
Linda



No comments: