Pages

Tuesday 30 June 2015

Holiday In Queensland

I have had so many friends on holidays overseas this winter that I was beginning to get envious. Everyone needs a holiday every so often and last week it was my turn. I didn't go overseas but I did venture further north to some warmer weather.

We went to the Gold Coast which is about an hour's drive south of Brisbane which is the capital city of Queensland. It was so much warmer although it is still winter up there we had a maximum temperature of 22 degrees Celsius instead of 12 degrees here in Melbourne.

We had a lovely apartment right across the road from the beach.

Gold Coast Beach
Although it was too cool for swimming we went for walks along the beach most days and water was quite warm.

My youngest son and his girlfriend came with us so we went to the Theme Parks which are a big tourist attraction up there.

I loved Sea World and could have spent more time there. They have everything so beautifully displayed and really care about the sea creatures.

We saw the penguins first.
Penguin

There was a penguin slightly sectioned off with a baby penguin and while I was standing there another penguin stood on the other side of the little fence and the two adults seemed to be kissing each other. They both stretched up the necks and then brought their beaks together and stood like that for ages.

Kissing Penguins
I am sure they must have been the mother and father of the little baby.

We saw lots of Sea Lions and there is a big Polar Bear enclosure but the bears were very sleepy when we were there.
Sea Lion

Sea World has a huge fish enclosure that seemed to house so many fish. It was mesmerising.



I think I enjoyed it especially because I am currently making an underwater themed quilt and there was inspiration everywhere.

When we came out of the huge aquarium there were some shallow pools with starfish and coral that you were allowed to touch.

Star Fish
The starfish felt really hard almost like concrete, but the Sea Cucumbers were the softest thing I have ever felt.

Sea Cucumber
The last thing we did was watch the wonderful dolphin show. I tried to get a photo with the dolphins all up in the air but by the time I took the photo they were on the way down.

Dolphin Show
We also had a day at Movie World.
The family actually got me to go on the Scooby Doo Spooky Roller coaster saying that it was more fun than scary.
My son and his girlfriend went on the ride 3 times. Once was enough for me, I was sure that I would fall out of the cart. I don't know how people can go on those really big roller coasters.

We stayed until the end when they had the Grand Parade down Main Street and we saw all the Warner Brother and Batman characters.


It was a fun couple of days and we did do more than go to the theme parks and I tell you all about them in the next post.

Bye for now,
Linda

2 comments:

jude's page said...

Sounds like a good time was had by all.

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Jude, I came home refreshed and felt as if I needed the break.