Pages

Tuesday 18 August 2020

Another Class with Nancy Crow!

Two and a half years ago, I did two weeks of advanced design classes with Nancy Crow in New Zealand. I was way out of my depth, I had never used plain fabrics before, I hadn't done any piecing for over 10 years, my fabrics were all the wrong values and it was an advanced, serious design class in work that I didn't do. I am much more comfortable with applique than piecing.

You can read my post about the classes with Nancy Crow in 2017.

I have been invited to attend two weeks of classes at Nancy Crow's barn in Ohio in 2022 and I said yes! Nancy only accepts advanced students, no new ones anymore. Of course, these classes will only go ahead if this virus is under control and international travel is allowed.

Why am I doing this! I am doing it because I know what I am getting myself into now, I enjoy working with plain fabrics and feel more comfortable with contemporary design. I don't know any person who teaches advanced design and will tell you honestly why your work is good or bad and why.

The other reason is that the two weeks with Nancy Crow were the most challenging but one of the best times of my life.

Even though it's two years away, I have started collecting fabrics, whenever I see them on special.


When the fabrics arrive in the post (no patchwork shops are open) I wash them and label them with their Kona cotton name and what value they are.



Look how gorgeous these fabrics look when they are in value order.

Value order

I have the Kona cotton chart with all the fabrics, so I know all the names.



My friend in Adelaide, Julie Haddrick who is also doing the classes, sent me a copy of the Circular Abstractions book, which is hard to get, so I can be further inspired.



Well, it's two years away and anything could happen in that time but it's something to look forward to.

Bye for now,
 Linda

2 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

There's only one word that comes to mind when I see those fabrics - delicious! Oh the possibilities abound with what you can do. I'm also interested to see what you might do with the inspiration from the 'Circular Abstractions' book.

Linda Steele said...

Thank you Magpie Mumblings, I have put the book aside but I must have a look for some inspiration.