Pages

Tuesday 25 August 2020

Screen Printing

 I have been wanting to play around with some screen printing for the last couple of years. I love the effects that some people get and really admire their quilts. I have the books and DVD's and have been reading and watching them for the last couple of weeks.

Most people seem to use thickened dye on fabric but my for trial, I didn't want to be mixing up dyes and soda soaking fabric etc. I didn't even cut any stencils, I just used what I had on hand and they were the ones that I had used a couple of months ago when I did some sun printing.

I used the screen-printing ink in black that I used recently for the mark making.


Oh, my goodness!! The mess! That black inky screen! The horrible clean up. It's just not for me. I have to admit I like things a bit cleaner and in control.

Here are the two pieces of fabric that I printed.



Now, I must admit there are some sections that I don't mind and could imagine them cropped and able to be used. 

There are other techniques that I enjoy so much more. I love sun printing, I even enjoyed that flour resist and the mark making. Love using a thermofax screen and mono printing. The screen printing is just one step too far for me.

I'll just enjoy other people's work from now on.

I think it's just as important to know you don't like as what you do like. I no longer have to fill up my head with ideas with this and imagining me screen printing.

Bye for now,

Linda

4 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Not something I've tried because I suspected it was a messy process. You've just cemented that thought in my brain so it won't be on my list of possibilities. I have a hard enough time doing the shaving cream/paint thing and even that I wouldn't do if I didn't like the end result so much.

Linda Steele said...

No doubt the screen printers won't be happy to read about my poor attempt, Magpie Mumblings. Maybe I just learn better in a class rather than trying to teach myself.

jude's page said...

Good that you had a try, before making your decision. I decided I did not want the mess of dyeing fabric, with out even trying it! But I have a friend who loves to do it, so I know just where to find hand dyed fabric.

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Jude, the one advantage of being in isolation is getting a chance to go through that to do list