Pages

Tuesday 4 August 2020

Masterclass with Claire Benn

The UK Festival of Quilts was on over the weekend, but it was a virtual quilt show this year. They also had classes over the internet for the first time. I signed up for a Mark Making class with Claire Benn, I have always admired Claire's work and want to try and do more mark making and screen printing kind of work.
The class was for one hour and was on at 8pm on Friday night for my time zone. Here is my Ipad set up waiting for the class to start via Zoom.



I had my work space and tools all set up, waiting to go, it was exciting.



Claire Benn recommended that we only use white fabric and black paint to keep things simple. I used black screen printing ink.



Our first instruction was to put masking tape on our fabric to act as a resist.




Then we followed along with Claire starting with a gelli plate and foam brush.



I didn't take any progress photos after that because I was busy keeping up with everything.

Here is what it looked like finished.


I really enjoyed the class. I left it to dry overnight and I went and cleaned the paint off all my brushes and tools.

The next morning, I took off the tape.


I love it. Claire said that the idea was to try lots of things and eventually you will get to know the marks that you enjoy making and continue on with those that suit your own work.

Of course, this is just a practice piece and not a completed work, but I definitely think I could do more of this kind of thing. I have to start and try it soon though. I have learnt from the past that I can do a workshop and then go home, pack things away and get on with my life and lose the momentum and excitement of the class.

The zoom class worked so well and it was amazing that people from all over the world were doing it at the same time. Claire is a very experienced teacher.

I can imagine doing this sort of class again, so much cheaper than an airfare to the UK and hotel fees etc. That is one of the only benefits of this horrible Corona virus.

Speaking of which, my state, Victoria has now gone into Stage 4 lockdown. All retail and business closed except for supermarkets, banks, petrol stations, doctors and a few more things.
We have a curfew and are not allowed out from 8pm until 5am unless we are coming home from work.
Only one person may leave the house for shopping and it must be within a 5k radius and for one hour only. We are allowed to walk or run for an hour a day with only one other person from the family. We must always wear a mask when outside of our house. There are huge fines for disobeying these rules.
The virus had got out of control and we are having between 400 and 700 new cases daily and 10-13 deaths daily. Too many for the size of our population.
This will go on for 6 weeks. It will be spring before we are allowed out again. I hope this works!

Luckily, I have plenty of sewing to do and we can see friends and family over the internet.

Bye for now,
Linda

6 comments:

Ruth said...

Hi Linda, the class with Claire looks amazing. There has to be a positive in all of this somewhere and the Zoom class is it. Take care during the lockdown and hopefully you stay well. Let us know if you need any supplies, we can still go to sewing shops here in Qld, though I can’t purchase elastic anymore, and we can mail it to you. At least 6 weeks can seem like 6 months.

Linda Steele said...

Thank you Ruth, what a kind comment. The zoom class was definitely one good thing to happen out of all this. Hope everyone stays well up north!

Robbie said...

I have a DVD with Clare and a few books....she is a good instructor and I love what you did with the first class! So very interesting and I can see this piece being added to or used elsewhere!!!!

So sad you folks are back to ground zero with staying at home...I just don't know when this will end...I can see our state closing places again..although, we don't go to eat in a restaurant yet. Guess I'lljust keep being Betty Crocker for a few more months! HA Take care!

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Robbie, I have also found a couple of books and DVD by Claire Benn, so now I am going to look at them again.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

This looks like such fun - and I don't think it looks like a practice piece at all! I think it could easily stand alone.
So sorry that your area is back into lock down, but I guess it's not surprising. I imagine there will be a lot more of that yet to come. Thankfully we have our creativity to keep us occupied and happy.

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Magpie Mumblings, I still haven't done anymore of the mark making work but am determined to have another go before the end of the week.