Pages

Tuesday 11 October 2022

Textile Tour of Morocco

 Yes, I am actually going to Morocco! A friend mentioned that she had booked into the textile tour of Morocco that is being hosted by Gloria Loughman. I know Gloria because she lives in the same state as me and we go to the same quilt shows etc, but she is world famous and I love her quilts. Click on her name if you don't know Gloria Loughman's work.

Anyway, I am leaving for Morocco on Thursday and I am flying by myself! I fly to Dubai and then to Casablanca and then to Marrakesh, where I will be met by a guide who will take me to our first hotel. My friend is meeting me at Marrakesh because she is going to London first. 

I have been busy tying up loose ends and getting prepared.

I have been making another portrait quilt that features my grandson, Jack.



I managed to get the top finished and basted it yesterday, so it is ready for me to quilt when I get back.

I am still doing the art course on-line with Laura Horn. She's a lovely young artist from South Australia. I follow along with the lessons but it's quite time consuming learning a new craft. I hope to apply my new skills to art quilts. In fact, I have decided to spend the Christmas holidays doing fabric surface design. But I have had that goal for the last couple of years and didn't get around to it. We'll see, I just might do it this year.

Last month, we had to make abstract marks onto watercolour paper and then cut it up and try and resolve the compositions. I hated mine and they sat in a pile for a couple of weeks. Finally, I thought I might start trying to draw on them and see what happened.

I ended up enjoying it and liked the end result. I haven't got a photo of what they looked like before I started decorating them because they looked so bad to me, it didn't occur to take a photo. I used posca pens for the mark making.


Next time you hear from me, I'll be back from Morocco, I'll be gone for two and a half weeks.

Bye for now,

Linda


2 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Have a wonderful time! A textile tour sounds like heaven!
As for your cut-up pieces I can see tons of quilt-making inspiration in those.

Linda Steele said...

Thanks for your comment Magpie Mumblings, I arrived back home from Morocco yesterday and had a wonderful time.