Pages

Tuesday 11 April 2023

Angie Lewin Printmaker

 We studied printmaker Angie Lewin in the Waverley Art Quilters this month. Angie lives in England and she has a very successful career. One of the reasons we decided to study her apart from the fact her work is wonderful, it was a chance to look at how she simplifies botanical shapes.

I have had Angie Lewin's book for a few years now.


It's a wonderful book to study because it shows her drawings and her printing blocks. Actually, I have only ever looked at the photos in the book. I must put it near my bed to actually read it.

I chose one of her botanical works as inspiration.

Work by Angie Lewin

I ended up following her work more closely than I usually do. I decided to use her colours because it is a combination that I would never normally choose. I would never usually put the darkest colour up the top either.

I was going to turn it into a coral reef quilt and add fish, but in the end I decided to just use her work as a learning experience.

Inspired by Angie Lewin

I learnt that I should probably be more adventurous with colour. I also learnt that a very busy lower half of a work can balance the top dark colour.

Most of all I learnt to appreciate her work even more, because there is so much detail and work involved in her prints. Wow, these prints must take her ages to make.

Set up for AQC, the Australasian Quilt Convention starts tomorrow, it will be good to catch up with some of the interstate quilters that I haven't seen for a few years.


Bye for now,

Linda

4 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm not familiar with her work but will be asking Mr. Google for further information. I can easily 'see' that a coral reef would easily translate with her inspiration.
Have fun at the convention!

Linda Steele said...

Angie Lewin's work is wonderful and I am sure that the group could do a whole series inspired by her.

Sharon said...

Love Angie's work, use of color! I'm inspired too!

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Sharon, I agree, if I had more time I would spend more time with her for inspiration.