Pages

Tuesday 11 July 2023

Good news

 I have been very busy for a long time but I can finally see some light.

One piece of good news is that I made a quilt inspired by my wonderful trip to Morocco. I have just heard that it has been accepted into the Art Quilt Australia 2023 exhibition. It is a requirement that the quilt has not been seen or exhibited before, so I can only show a detail photo until August this year when the exhibition opens.

Moroccan Magic detail

I saw the fabric for the Modern Quilt Guild challenge and I really liked it, so I trawled online for ages until I found the correct fabrics. You could easily get the fabrics from America but hardly any of the shops post to Australia anymore because of the cost. I found one fabric at one shop and the postage costs were way higher than the the fabric, so I didn't go ahead with the purchase.

After much searching, I found the required 6 fabrics from 3 or 4 different shops in Australia.

Challenge Fabrics

I have already started, it's another improv pieced style quilt that I am really enjoying lately.

beginnings of a quilt

To tell you the truth, it is probably not the sort of quilt that the Modern Quilt Guild is looking for, but I don't mind if it isn't accepted, I am just happy to be inspired to make it.

I have saved the best news for last. I have been the convenor of the Victorian Quilt Showcase for a few years now. It is our most prestigious show and is held at the Exhibition and Convention Centre in the city.

The Show opens on Wednesday at 10am and closes on Saturday at 4pm. I have been working hard on this for months.

We have a modern Quilt as our raffle quilt this year, it was made by members of the Melbourne Modern Quilt Guild. It is very different from our usual raffle quilts and it has been very well received.

Positivity by the MMQG

The good news is that someone has come forward to take over my job as Convenor!! I wanted to finish last year but we couldn't get anyone to do the job.

I will still be helping next year but as a guide and Consultant.

I will be at the show everyday this week, so I hope to catch up with many friends. It will be good to have a quilt show again.

Bye for now,

Linda

4 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Congratulations on another acceptance! You're doing well!!
Interesting that you should note that the shops in America won't post to AU due to the cost - we run into the same thing here in Canada. It's so annoying when there is a big note on sites saying they won't ship here. It's doubly annoying when you consider that Canada and the US supposedly have a 'free trade agreement'.
Good news that someone is stepping up to take your Convenor job. It's always so hard to find people willing to do such jobs and I'm sure you're hugely relieved.

Linda Steele said...

Magpie Mumblings,I am so surprised that the American shops won't post to Canada, when you are so close. The trouble is that the fabrics in Australia are now $30-$36 a metre. I always like to support Australian shops but I was finding it hard to buy the the correct fabrics for the challenge. I remember when we were shocked that they were $18.The shipping costs are through the roof, it must be so difficult for the shops in Australia to make a profit.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I think that's one of the reasons why so many of the small quilt shops are being forced to close. The prices for fabric are ridiculously high here as well and the shops have taken to pricing by the 1/4 metre, thinking they're softening the blow. I'm beginning to wonder if quilters are going to be forced to go back to recycling and reusing like our grandmothers did.

Linda Steele said...

I agree Magpie Mumblings, many quilters will buy less than they would normally at the price fabric is at the moment.