Pages

Tuesday 4 July 2023

Bendigo Art Gallery

 After we had finished our little mid week holiday, the week before last, my friends and I went a bit further north to Bendigo.

Our first stop was to Maree St Clair Quilt Shop. The shop is quite large and it was busy because a group from Ballarat were having a sewing day there. There was a lot of very traditional fabric, which I don't use anymore but there was some Kona cottons that I wanted.

My Fabrics

The tartan fabric on the left is enough for a quilt backing. Maree had very kindly donated a voucher to the Vic Quilters Quilt show and I was the lucky recipient.

Then we drove onto the Bendigo Art Gallery. There was an Australian Women's Weekly exhibition to celebrate their 90th Birthday. A massive achievement.

When we entered they had some of the beautiful clothes that had been on some of the covers. My favourite was the black dress called Snow Maiden by Paolo Sebastian.

It was worn by singer Tina Arena in Evita. I thought it strange that it was called Snow Maiden but I still thought it was gorgeous.

Snow Maiden

Here is a close up of the bodice. It looks see through but in the photo of Tina Arena wearing it, she had a black lining under it.

Snow Maiden detail.

When my children were young, the Women's Weekly magazine published a birthday cake book. My children loved it and it was a huge best seller. They had a display of photos of people and the cakes they had made from the book over the years.

It was a long wall but there were so many people looking at it that I could only take a photo of the middle section

Birthday Cake wall

There were some of the cakes on display too.

Train Cake

There was also an Australiana exhibition.

I remember Jenny Kee was very trendy in the 1980's and 1990's, she was especially known for her knitwear.

Jenny Kee Display

There was also lots of other clothes on display from various designers.

Australian Fashion on display

I took lots of photos. When I got home it was back to reality, cooking dinner etc. But it was refreshing to have those days away.

While I was gone, one of my quilts arrived home from exhibition. I hadn't seen it since 2021.

Reef Revelations by Linda Steele

Bye for now,

Linda



4 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I have seen a few copies of the Women's Weekly magazine (think I picked them up in a thrift shop) and remember being impressed by them. AU always has the BEST magazines but they're hard to get here in Canada. I know I had that Birthday Cake book back when our boys were small and I know I made several cakes inspired by it.
It must have been exciting to have your quilt come home - just like Christmas I would think!

jude's page said...

I still have that BIrthday cake book and made lots of the cakes in it when my children were little.

Linda Steele said...

I am surprised to hear that the Birthday cake book was sold overseas as well, Magpie Mumblings. I still have my copy and my daughter has bought the more recent updated copy.

Linda Steele said...

That Birthday cake book must have been such a huge seller for them, Jude. They also had all the other cook books on display, I had bought most of them over the years and still have them.