Pages

Tuesday 18 July 2023

Victorian Quilters Showcase 2023

 The Victorian Quilters Inc. Showcase was on last week and it was my last one as Convenor. Everything went well, the show looked good and we had many compliments on the layout and the beautiful quilts.

I will be a quilt show consultant next year to make sure that the hand over to the new Convenor goes smoothly.

Best of Show went to a beautiful applique quilt by Mariya Waters called Floral Symphony no. 2.

Floral Symphony no. 2 by Mariya Waters

Here are a couple of detail photos.


Floral Symphony no. 2 detail by Mariya Waters 

Runner Up to Best of Show was a Pictorial Quilt by Sue de Vanny called Long Tall Sally.

Long Tall Sally by Sue de Vanny

There was another lovely pictorial quilt in the show with an Alice in Wonderland theme.
Curiouser and Curiouser by Michelle Bardwell


We had a display of 20 quilts by the Melbourne Modern Quilt Guild and one particularly caught my eye.

Fan Fold by Caroline Headley

There was also a display of a series of quilts by Jan Preston about her Father in Law in World War 2.

After finding memorabilia in her Father in Law's belongings after he had passed away, Jan went about researching his story. Below is a photo of a section of the display

Courage and Determination by Jan Preston

The display touched many hearts and visitors recounted their own family stories, quite a few tears were shed.

Jan Preston is a wonderful artist and you really need to see the work and appreciate all the different techniques in person. Photos do not do it justice.

Courage and Determination by Jan Preston.

I was also lucky enough to win 2nd prize in the Contemporary section with my quilt called Sailing.

Sailing by Linda Steele

Well, that is the end of an era for me, I have been Showcase Convenor for 6 years and did three Waverley Quilt Shows before that, as well as being President of Waverley Patchworkers for two years.

No wonder I feel a bit burnt out.

I really need some down time to concentrate on my own sewing.

Bye for now,

Linda

4 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm sure you're hugely relieved to be handing over the responsibility to someone else. Now, just be careful not to volunteer for anything else for awhile so you can spend some time playing.
I can see why that quilt won best of show - wow!!! Can't imagine how many hours she must have spent on that applique alone.

nestki said...

Congratulations, Linda, on a job well done. You contributed so much to the art and quilting scene. Now won't it be great to have some free choice time!

Linda Steele said...

It's a magnificent quilt, Magpie Mumblings. It took a couple of years to make, she is sending it off to Houston next.

Linda Steele said...

Thank you, Netski, I must admit I am still recovering from the quilt show. I am looking forward to feeling more relaxed.