Pages

Tuesday 13 May 2014

90 Years Young

I have a friend who turned 90 last week. She must have good genes because she is such a healthy and active lady.
Marie Hart has been a member of Waverley Patchworkers since the early days and has been on the committee for every quilt show except the last couple when I told her that she wasn't allowed to anymore! (In a nice, kind way of course). When I am asking for help at the quilt show, hers is always the hand that comes up first.

Here is the President of Waverley giving Marie a huge basket of red cyclamens.
Marie is so well loved that she has an award at our quilt show named after her. It is the Marie Hart Award that is given to a beginner quilter.
I remember Marie when I first joined Waverley; I had done an arty class at the symposium and was really out of my comfort zone. There was a kind lady serving the tea and coffee and I was telling her about my experience and she was very sympathetic and kind to me. I didn't know the lady's name at the time but it turned out to be Marie.

Now I am fortunate to call Marie a friend and am in a friendship group with her. Last week our group had our own little party for her. She was so happy and talked non stop.

Everyone has made a fuss of her and at her main party she stood and talked to everyone for 6 hours without sitting down. I don't think that I could do that.

Speaking of the quilt show, it is on at the end of this month and I am spending a huge amount of time on it. The award rosettes arrived this week and we have done the layout of the quilts. So we are on track for a wonderful show.
I chose red for the rosettes because our raffle quilt is a red and white quilt and the challenge is red and white with a touch of black. We already have over 60 entries for the challenge; I can't wait to see them all.

Bye for now,
Linda


2 comments:

Gina E. said...

Can't wait! It is always worth seeing. If I miss out on the conventions it doesn't matter as long as I see the Waverley patchworkers show!

Linda Steele said...

I'll look forward to catching up with you Gina.