Pages

Friday, 2 May 2014

Round Robin Needle-case 2

I am participating in a couple of Round Robins with the Southern Cross Crazies this year and I have just finished my work on Arlene's Needle-case.

One of the group had already done some work on it and I got started on the embroidery before I remembered to take a photo, so ignore the stem stitch vine that I started.

Arlene's Needle-case
 I found it very hard to embroider on such a collection of busy fabrics. Everything I did didn't show up very well. I was doing the centre section where the needle-case would be folded over so I didn't want to embroider anything too bulky.

It looks quite pretty but can you hear me sighing! I know why I always stick to plain fabrics when I make my bases. I think Arlene was really trying to challenge us.

Bye for now,
Linda

5 comments:

Renata's arts and crafts said...

I love this subtle colors and I am looking forward to see your finished block .

Lorraine said...

I can see using the pattern base was most definitely a challenge. I like to use a mixture of both solids and very subtle patterns to highlight the stitching. Looks like fun - always lots to learn in RR.

Linda Steele said...

Thanks for your comments Renata and Loraine. I sometimes use patterns in my crazy quilt bases but I usually put them next to a plain, so this was a new experience for me. I think the fabrics are very pretty and the end result will be lovely.
Linda

Gina E. said...

More of a nightmare than a challenge, is my guess! Your work has transformed the fabric but I agree with you that embroidery needs to be mostly on plain fabric, even if it is partially overlapped by patterned fabric.

Linda Steele said...

Thanks Gina, I wonder if she will be happy with the result and if she usually uses such busy fabric!