Pages

Tuesday 28 March 2023

Landscape

 We are exploring various 'Scapes' in the Waverley Art Quilters this year. We started off a bit easier using Landscapes.

I wanted to try and abstract a landscape rather than a realistic depiction. I had no access to my fabrics because they had all been packed up to make way for my new carpet. I love playing around with paper so that was what I decided to use.

I have been doing a lot of paper collages this year so my papers were still handy. 



I had been using some lettering in my collages so I had some already printed out and I printed out a photo of a tree in winter.

On a large A3 piece of paper I cut and pasted some of the lettering. My photo is me trying to make a composition with the lettering and some black and white papers. The lettering really had nothing to do with the landscape but I thought it would be a good way to make it more abstract.


I got so involved that I didn't take anymore progress photos. So this is what it looked like in the end.

Landscape Collage

 I couldn't help myself, I had to add some coloured papers in the composition. I suppose one of the advantages of our group and working small is finding out what you really like!

Well, that really didn't take long to make so I decided to make another one, especially as I was a bit disappointed with my first one.

I printed out another tree and added some of my collage papers, but to abstract it, I sliced the papers into narrow strips. The photo below is what I started with but the tree looked too stark on the white paper.


I found a pale blue paper that I had painted and put it in the paper tray of my printer and printed it out. I got that hint from a collage artist, Rebecca Chapman in the Collage Makers Summit that was held earlier this year..


As long as the paper is clean and flat, the printer doesn't mind at all.

Here is my finished collage, this one is only 10 inches square.

Landscape Collage 2

I like using the papers, no batting and quilting to worry about and nice and flat to store. However, my carpet has been installed and I can get to my fabrics now. It took quite a few days to put everything back again.

I love my new carpet, everything looks so clean and organised. I must take a photo of my improved sewing room, it's working well so far.

But I am off to grandparents day at Kinder with my granddaughter Anna, she is very excited.

Bye for now,

Linda

2 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I've never really gotten in to playing with paper and I doubt if I will because it would mean a whole 'nother stash that I simply don't have room for. I have a bit and use it to make cards sometimes. I like how you showcased the tree so it might be fun to experiment with painting some paper and running it through the printer.
I bet you enjoyed grandparents day just as much as your grandie!

Linda Steele said...

You are so right about the paper storage, Magpie Mumblings. I've had to buy folders for all the papers and find a way of storing them.